XnView 1.70

Questions, suggestions, and answers for XnView on all Un*x platforms (Linux, HP-UX, AIX, ...)

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

xnview
Author of XnView

XnView 1.70

Post by xnview »

Dear user,

XnView 1.70 & NConvert 4.51 for linux, FreeBSD 5.x, IRIX 6.5, MACOS X is available.
Pierre.

Post by Guest »

Thank YOU!!
helmut

Post by helmut »

xnview wrote:XnView 1.70 & NConvert 4.51 for linux, FreeBSD 5.x, IRIX 6.5, MACOS X is available.
Already? I thought it would take some more months till the 1.70 is out. Well done, Pierre!

Post by Guest »

Congratulations for this new version!!!
Sorry my bad english.

Post by Guest »

Thanks for this new version. It seems to be statically linked against Motif and Libformat, hence the increased size of 2,5 MB, which is, by the way, still labelled as 1,3 MB at the download site, but not against libstdc++, maybe for licensing reasons.

This might be a little bit confusing since one version is linked against quite new and the other one is linked against quite old libraries. Therefore I'd like to give the following hints to SuSE users:

- If you are using SuSE versions up to 9.2, use the old binary and install the "compat" package from you installation media. It is necessary because it contains the old libstdc++ which is needed by the old binary. Do not try to use the new binary. It does not work because it requires a newer glibc.

- If you are using SuSE version 9.3, you can use the new binary since the shipped version of glibc is sufficiently recent. You need to install the following libstdc++ package:

http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/ ... 6.rpm.html

This package does not replace your existing libstdc++. It installs the new one in addition to the old one. Afterwards you can use the new XnView binary. Alternatively, you can use the old binary as described above.

- If you are using SuSE 10.0 previews, use the new binary as usual. It runs without any additional packages. You can use the old binary as well after installing the "compat" package, but it doesn't make any sense.

These instructions might help for other distributions as well, though I can't test and verify it myself.

New version? New version for LINUX? OH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH!!

Post by Guest »

THANK YOU for FINALLY releasing a new version of XnView for Linux

I LOVE XNVIEW FOR LINUX!

I LOVE XNVIEW!

Oh sweet Jesus, it's like Christmas morning!

Thank you!
Sabin

Thanks so much ^_^

Post by Sabin »

Thank you very much once again :)

Your care and devotion, while after all unix environments are just one or two percent of the users, is something really appreciable, and I'm sure plenty of people are grateful for this :D
Sabin

bug report

Post by Sabin »

Hmmm, I have a bug report : I used the rpm version provided from the main download page, and xnview always dies when I click, in the "View > File list" options.

I ran xnview in the console too but it just says "**** error detected ****" :-/

I'll try compiling instead ^^
Sabin

^^

Post by Sabin »

Ouf !

The version installed from source (I thought it would be a compilation, in fact just an installation script, even better :p) won't die this time, so it works just fine ^_^

I fell I could do a few suggestions, they'll come in another thread to keep things clear :)
mxp

Re: XnView 1.70

Post by mxp »

xnview wrote: XnView 1.70 & NConvert 4.51 for linux, FreeBSD 5.x, IRIX 6.5, MACOS X is available.
Will XnView 1.70 become available for other UNIX platforms as well? Specifically, I'd be interested in a version for NetBSD (I've been using 1.68 on NetBSD quite heavily). I'd also be willing to help with building on NetBSD (and Solaris) if necessary.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

mxp wrote:
xnview wrote: XnView 1.70 & NConvert 4.51 for linux, FreeBSD 5.x, IRIX 6.5, MACOS X is available.
Will XnView 1.70 become available for other UNIX platforms as well? Specifically, I'd be interested in a version for NetBSD (I've been using 1.68 on NetBSD quite heavily). I'd also be willing to help with building on NetBSD (and Solaris) if necessary.
Yes i can make a build for NetBSD, do you know if OpenMotif is available on it?
Pierre.
mxp

Post by mxp »

xnview wrote:
mxp wrote:
Great! Yes, OpenMotif works fine on NetBSD. I'm using 2.2.3, built from source using

./configure && gmake CCLD="gcc -Wl,-rpath,/usr/X11R6/lib"

TIA
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

mxp wrote:
xnview wrote:
mxp wrote: Will XnView 1.70 become available for other UNIX platforms as well? Specifically, I'd be interested in a version for NetBSD (I've been using 1.68 on NetBSD quite heavily). I'd also be willing to help with building on NetBSD (and Solaris) if necessary.
Great! Yes, OpenMotif works fine on NetBSD. I'm using 2.2.3, built from source using

./configure && gmake CCLD="gcc -Wl,-rpath,/usr/X11R6/lib"

TIA
Do you know an url with a .iso netbsd install?
Pierre.
mxp

Post by mxp »

xnview wrote: Do you know an url with a .iso netbsd install?
ftp://iso.fr.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/iso/2.0.2/i386cd.iso

HTH and looking forward to it
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

mxp wrote:
xnview wrote: Do you know an url with a .iso netbsd install?
ftp://iso.fr.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/iso/2.0.2/i386cd.iso

HTH and looking forward to it
You have XFree86 too?
Pierre.