problem with switching images

Questions, suggestions, and answers for XnView on all Un*x platforms (Linux, HP-UX, AIX, ...)

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Pado

problem with switching images

Post by Pado »

Hi

i have xnview installed on my linux machine. when i open one of more images in a directory, i can't see the other images. when i click on the "next image" button, the same image is loaded again and i can't see the other ones. i use the XnView-static.i386.rpm on suse linux 9.3. can anyone help me? maybe somebody has the same problem???

Pado
Dmitry

Well, i have the same problem and...

Post by Dmitry »

... madly want to solve it. DOES DEVELOPERS HAVE ANY IDEA OF FIXING IT?
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: problem with switching images

Post by xnview »

Pado wrote:Hi

i have xnview installed on my linux machine. when i open one of more images in a directory, i can't see the other images. when i click on the "next image" button, the same image is loaded again and i can't see the other ones. i use the XnView-static.i386.rpm on suse linux 9.3. can anyone help me? maybe somebody has the same problem???
Sorry but i don't have this problem. You open a picture from browser, and use next?
Pierre.
Al

Post by Al »

From my experience this problem only appears when enabling (one appropriate) or all three "High zoom quality" items in Tools-> Options -> View.

If enabled so, and you click on one picture (of a collection in one directory) from the Browser window (so that a Viewer window is opened), and you use next (or previous) in the Viewer window, this problem *may* occur:

Please note that I used "may" as the effect is not occuring every time, it is in some way dependant on the predecessor and the follower picture. Maybe reslution and or jpeg compression level has to do with it. I only use jpeg's and noticed thereby.

Another hint is, if you resize Viewer window, or change zoom, suddenly the correct picture is displayed. And it is there since 1.68.

BTW: seems to me a duplicate of the "High zoom quality option" thread where I posted too.

Post by Guest »

Al wrote:From my experience this problem only appears when enabling (one appropriate) or all three "High zoom quality" items in Tools-> Options -> View.
I had the same problem - after disabling "high zoom quality" options everythig seems to work OK.

I use Fedora4, KDE 3.5 latest kernel and other components.

Kind regards,
.misha.
petehoven

Post by petehoven »

Hi,

The same problem occurs in the HP-UX version.

Indeed, after disabling high-zoom quality, it works just fine.
Nith

Post by Nith »

This problem is in fact the only reason I do not use XnView on my Mac OS X system. :( XnView is by far my favorite image browsing tool, but since it can not be trusted to properly proceed through a series of image using "previous" and "next" buttons or arrow keys, it has become useless to me.

I realize that changing the zoom settings will solve the problem, but I can't stand looking at an image which has not been either zoomed to fit the screen properly if it is too large, and I hate jaggies on pictures - thumbnails can have jaggies, but I don't want to see them when I view the image full screen.

I really wish the developer would either opensource this project or fix the thing - I've been waiting years for this to be fixed. Years. In the mean time I have to make due with a handful of lesser image programs that can at least display the images nicely.

Just as a note, aside from changing the zoom setting in the program options/defaults, you can force the image to reload properly when viewing by zooming the image in or out once it has loaded incorrectly.

This happens on both my SGI Octane 1.70 and my Mac iBook running v1.70.1.
MetaMorfoziS

ohmygod...

Post by MetaMorfoziS »

Hi!

I'm a bit embittered about this problem, but the workaround solved my problem. [Kubuntu dapper 6.06]

I still thinks xnviewis the best imgviewere for linux, i'm never used it on windows, i used irfanview in windows (i'm switched a years ago) and when i switched i found this, that better than irf, i noticed the win version have more features, i'm don't know whats, but i'mnever needed that...

Myprimary problem is it isn't supports pasting, and don't hadnles the mouse wheel, it's a lillte anynoing.
And a little item to get more userfriendly, and useful i think if a button added to multiconvert, that writes the current selected images folder's path tot he output field... And if the "Add folder" browser window default location is the current opened image (if is there an opened image...) for example i do mc ever with clicking on the first image (that opens xnview, because its easier than i start it from menu) and etc...

So thats all in my bad english grammar, but keep good work, i think changing to qt is a cool idea, and i can't wait to the next version...:)

Somebody in sometopic askedwhat about kde services. I think it's a good idea, if other not, the opendialog is recommended, that supports ftp, and other common protocols to save/oopen/etc... think out please.

best regards
Meta