Xnview Transparency

Questions, suggestions, and answers for XnView on all Un*x platforms (Linux, HP-UX, AIX, ...)

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Pmack

Xnview Transparency

Post by Pmack »

Hello,

I am a Linux newbie, and the answer to this is probably right in front of my face...

I was able to successfully install Xnview 1.7 under my Ubuntu 9.04 installation. The program comes up fine, and works right.. Only thing is the entire window appears to have its opacity turned down... So whatever is under the window "Bleeds" through.

I checked all over to find out how to adjust it, and couldn't find a thing.

None of the other programs I install seem to have this problem, so it makes me think the problem is in Xnview.

Thanks for any help.

Pat
bwh1969

Re: Xnview Transparency

Post by bwh1969 »

I have the same issue and the only thing I got to kind of sort of work was...

Install fluxbox and log out and log into fluxbox as your window manager and use it there

Or

Create a nested Xephyr session (kind of a virtual window that floats on top of the desktop, I had this working in Kubuntu Intrepid but I can't seem to get it to work in Karmic)

Or

Install WINE and run the Windows version (this works, and there is some weird artifacting, but it does not really affect the functionality of it).
Joubert

Re: Xnview Transparency

Post by Joubert »

I find a solutin here: http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?t=14183
I create a shortcut to make easy launch Xnview...I create a folder named XnviewShortcut in /home/*myname and make a file named XnviewSol (you can choose other name of course) in this file i write the comand XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1 xnview and save as XnviewSol.sn. After i hide the folder renaming as .XnviewShortcut.
I hope this way can help someone...