can't even install... (Linux)

Questions, suggestions, and answers for XnView on all Un*x platforms (Linux, HP-UX, AIX, ...)

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

arjay

can't even install... (Linux)

Post by arjay »

Sorry to be so feeble but a bit of a newbie at all this and can't even get XnView installed. Not surprising really as there doesn't seem to be a single guide available for installing the program. Nothing on the website and nothing even in the Readme - no Install.txt or anything here that I could find. Go on prove me wrong! Anyway ....

I am running simplymepis (deb/ubuntu/whatever variant) on a pretty recent PC - Celeron 3.3, nvidia 8500GT card, 2 gig of memory etc. So presumably that is OK

I downloaded the file XnView-x86-unknown-linux2.x-static-fc4.tgz file. Not too sure about this because i figure fc4 stands for Fedora Core 4, but what the hell - it was the only non rpm file available.

I untarred it to its own folder, changed to that folder, chmodded the install file and then ran ./install which is all i could think of:

Code: Select all

root@0[richard]#
root@0[richard]# cd /home/richard/downloads
root@0[downloads]# cd XnView-1.70-x86-unknown-linux2.x-static-fc4/
root@0[XnView-1.70-x86-unknown-linux2.x-static-fc4]# chmod +x install
root@0[XnView-1.70-x86-unknown-linux2.x-static-fc4]# ./install
  OS  : Linux, version 2.6.15-27-desktop
This script will install nview/nconvert/xnview in the /usr/local/bin directory
cp: cannot create regular file `/usr/lib/X11/app-defaults/XnView': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access `/usr/lib/X11/app-defaults/XnView': No such file or directory

Done!

Given the error messages I thought the "Done!" was a bit optimistic but just in case I tried to run xnview and got a tiny gui which I could hardly read and which crashed if i tried to do anything - browse for a file, open a file etc.:

Code: Select all

root@0[XnView-1.70-x86-unknown-linux2.x-static-fc4]# xnview
** XnView v1.70 Copyright 1991-2005 Pierre-E Gougelet (Sep  6 2005/15:28:24) **
        Version for Linux x86/Motif (All rights reserved)
** This is freeware software (for non commercial use)

Type xnview -help, for more information
X Error of failed request:  BadName (named color or font does not exist)
  Major opcode of failed request:  45 (X_OpenFont)
  Serial number of failed request:  1468
  Current serial number in output stream:  1520
root@0[XnView-1.70-x86-unknown-linux2.x-static-fc4]#
All I want to do is open ONE ai file I need to work on for a logo for a friend's website. I have tried about five other programs but none of them can open it. Seems an awful waste of nearly a whole day just to open and modify one file but that's linux for you (<g>)

Can anyone help please??

TIA

Richard
robotriot

Post by robotriot »

You have to create the directory /usr/lib/X11/app-defaults/ first for the install script to work.
arjay

Post by arjay »

robotriot - thanks for the tip. I created the directory and then ran ./install in the directory where i downloaded and extracted the compressed file. It appeared to run OK. Roughly speaking it says: "installed *** in /usr/**** Done!" etc.

When I run xnview it opens OK but if I click on open file or browse, it just disappears off the screen - no error message, nothing!

Any ideas?

Richard
marsh
XnThusiast

Post by marsh »

arjay wrote: When I run xnview it opens OK but if I click on open file or browse, it just disappears off the screen - no error message, nothing!