SE: Shell Extension: Unable to register the DLL/OCX

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

moumouphle

merci à tous de passer sur mon blog !!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by moumouphle »

[quote="Anonymous"][quote="Dreamer"]No, maybe xnview, old ShellEx, or explorer/file manager opened?[/quote]Using another shell extension (MatroskaShellExt), I know I have to be careful and no app, especially explorer, was opened. I tried a registry clean-up but it didn't work either. (WinXp Sp2 up-to-date)[/quote]
harkpabst_meliantrop

Post by harkpabst_meliantrop »

XnTriq wrote:DllRegisterServer in H:\XnView\XnViewShellExt.dll failed.
Return code was: 0x8002801d

Re-registering C:\WINNT\system32\atl.dll as suggested doesn't help.
I had the same problem occasionally when installing the full setup version. I believe that it first appeared with the 1.9x releases, but I'm not completely sure.

The last time (got exactly the same return code) was just today, installing on a fresh installation of Windows 2000 SP4 with all updates except for IE, which I kept on 5.0 level on purpose.

However, after de- and reselecting the shell extension from the settings dialog, it is working just fine.

Post by Guest »

Hello,
XnTriq wrote: It seems as if it's a Windows 2K problem only. Pierre, could it be that Verclsid.exe has to do with this?
No, after uninstalling security update 908531, the dll register failed with the same message and error code. I have Windows 2000 SP4.

Pierre, what can we do to help you to reproduce it or trace it? It would be nice to fix this issue. I can use the shell extension in my context menu, but it seems to work _not_ in thumbnails in my explorer. Btw: does the shell extension support thumbnail views in windows explorer?

Thanks
Maik
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Anonymous wrote: Pierre, what can we do to help you to reproduce it or trace it? It would be nice to fix this issue. I can use the shell extension in my context menu, but it seems to work _not_ in thumbnails in my explorer. Btw: does the shell extension support thumbnail views in windows explorer?
No, it's only a shell extension in context menu!
Pierre.
Argax

Post by Argax »

Hi all,

I am having the same problem with the shell extension
Error
C:\Program Files\XnView\XnViewShellExt.dll

Unable to register the DLL/OCX: DllRegisterServer failed; code 0x8002801D.

Click Retry to try again, Ignore to proceed anyway (not recommended), or Abort to cancel installation.
This is on Win2k SP4 with WnView 1.91.4 full version.
By the way, this is a fresh install of win 2k (I had to format the drive about a week ago on some other issue).
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

XnTriq wrote:When I run the command to register it on Windows 2000 SP4, ...

Code: Select all

regsvr32.exe H:\XnView\XnViewShellExt.dll
... an error message pops up:
RegSvr32 wrote:DllRegisterServer in H:\XnView\XnViewShellExt.dll failed.
Return code was: 0x8002801d
Fixed in v1.7.0 :-)

Post by 888 »

Just to report:
XnView 1.95.4, ShellExt 2.5.2
same error problem on a fresh install W2K (all updates up to date).
Thre is no atl.dll on W2K by default, copying and registering it prior to ShellExt installation fixes the problem, but IMHO that's something that should be fixed, Pierre... maybe bundle the dll with installer?

BTW - great thx for XnView, long time user / first time poster here :)
ckv

Post by ckv »

888 wrote:Just to report:
XnView 1.95.4, ShellExt 2.5.2
same error problem on a fresh install W2K (all updates up to date).
Thre is no atl.dll on W2K by default, copying and registering it prior to ShellExt installation fixes the problem, but IMHO that's something that should be fixed, Pierre... maybe bundle the dll with installer?

BTW - great thx for XnView, long time user / first time poster here :)
According to Microsoft atl.dll should be there since Windows 2000 Service Pack 3
gbusch

Re: SE: Shell Extension: Unable to register the DLL/OCX

Post by gbusch »

Hi XnView-Fans,
I had the same problem and I could fix it. I start the installation with rightklick and "run as administrator". And also the first start of xnview with rightklick and "run as administrator". Then I change the option. After that all works fine.
By, Asa