XnView Shell Extension (Support & Development)

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Re: XnView Shell extension

Post by XnTriq »

budz45 wrote:This image is not previewing in the shell extension but is viewing as normal in the main Xnview, please download and analyze
http://www.mediafire.com/?vzcy2cinwnm
a11.jpg is a Windows Bitmap (BMP) with a wrong file extension.
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

Oh ok, thanks XnTriq for the extension corrector. :)
===============================================================

Another feature suggestion: Shell Icon File Path

When you install Stardock's IconPackager, on Windows, you notice that when you right click on any file or folder the application has a shell integrated feature to display the icon's file path (intuitive). It such a small shell feature in IconPackager and would be really nice if this small feature was replicated to being added in Xnview Shell Extension in the future....
All My Topics || my 'MP' Topics
My own Bookmarked topics--->for me only
Wolverine1977

Post by Wolverine1977 »

Hi - I have been using XnView EX for some time now (x86 & x64) I love this application and was checking for an update and read this user post -

"Please developer add a nice little 'icon' on the context menu Image so I and many users can immediate notice it is Xnview on the context menu Image . The default Xnview 'eye' logo image would be nice icon within a orb or box design"

Can you please let me know when this functionality will be available and what build version, this is the only improvement I can think of as I love this application. Please keep up the great work 8)
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

Hi Wolverine1977 ,

Yes that was my post for suggestion and Pierre, himself, the developer, has agreed he will add it for us :) If you want to keep informed of all updates on this topic of Xnview Shell Ext then all you have to do is press 'Subscribe topic' at the bottom of this forum page.
Wolverine1977

Post by Wolverine1977 »

Thanks for the Suggestion - I got a response from the author stating that this request was causing issues and may be in the next release - no indication regarding timing though. :D I hope he can get it to work as the icons are much easier to locate than the label in the context menu
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

Pierre,

When you get spare time, you could enhance the Xnview Shell Extension main page here to include some screenshots under Vista, include what Windows versions is supported and add some description info on the features and changes :D

==============================

1. I think the display of 'image information' should also be under the context menu highlighter too (whenever it's setting is enabled on) see here:- http://i38.tinypic.com/fuulgj.png

2. The additional prefix of 'XnShell' before 'options' in the "no submenu" option , like this:- http://i45.tinypic.com/14tlgzn.png
Last edited by budz45 on Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PBear

Post by PBear »

I just installed XnView 1.97 Full and am having the same issue that was already raised here by Toby in Dec 2007 -- but, as far as I can see, no one ever responded to it:

On my system, using Windows Vista, the Shell Extension does not work in Explorer (none of the components, let alone the thumbnail, appear in the context menu); it only works when I right-click on an image file in an "Open" or "Save" dialog from within a non-compliant application (one that does not use Windows common dialogs), such as Microsoft Word.

Here's a screen shot from within Word's Open File dialog (so it's apparent that I've managed to get the DLL registered properly):

Is there any way to get this to work, across the board, in Vista (and, I presume, now, in Windows 7)?

Thanks. :D
...we'll just add water and stir.
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

PBear wrote:I just installed XnView 1.97 Full and am having the same issue that was already raised here by Toby in Dec 2007 -- but, as far as I can see, no one ever responded to it:

On my system, using Windows Vista, the Shell Extension does not work in Explorer (none of the components, let alone the thumbnail, appear in the context menu); it only works when I right-click on an image file in an "Open" or "Save" dialog from within a non-compliant application (one that does not use Windows common dialogs), such as Microsoft Word.

Here's a screen shot from within Word's Open File dialog (so it's apparent that I've managed to get the DLL registered properly):

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k72/P ... apture.jpg

Is there any way to get this to work, across the board, in Vista (and, I presume, now, in Windows 7)?

Thanks. :D
In your screenshot you appear to be using the previous version of XnView Shell Extension as I can see it says "Options" instead of "XnShell: Options" so please download the latest 2.80 version here:- http://www.xnview.com/en/downloadwin32.html - and check to make sure you download for your correct Windows (32bit or 64bit)

The other day I installed Xnview Shell Extension (just for fun) at an Internet cafe with a just-installed fresh Vista and gave the app lot's of testing to see it worked fine, with no problems 8)

Before, I did have a issue on my own Vista which was to do with a disarrangement of the context menu (here), but I have seemed to have inadvertently fix that over time without even knowing, when I installed Eset security (and I'm not implying that issues with this shell extension is virus related NO). Pierre also suggested in a PM that it could be another shell extension that could be using an old API for their shell icon. So it might also be to do with what other applications you have installed.

With some steady analysis over some time I would like to see what particular apps are causing shell incompatibilities with Xnview Shell Ext and when done I could post the names of the apps on this thread. Perhaps it's a Win Explorer issue. Sorry if I didn't help.
PBear

Post by PBear »

budz45 wrote: In your screenshot you appear to be using the previous version of XnView Shell Extension as I can see it says "Options" instead of "XnShell: Options" so please download the latest 2.80 version here:- http://www.xnview.com/en/downloadwin32.html - and check to make sure you download for your correct Windows (32bit or 64bit)

The other day I installed Xnview Shell Extension (just for fun) at an Internet cafe with a just-installed fresh Vista and gave the app lot's of testing to see it worked fine, with no problems 8)

Before, I did have a issue on my own Vista which was to do with a disarrangement of the context menu (here), but I have seemed to have inadvertently fix that over time without even knowing, when I installed Eset security (and I'm not implying that issues with this shell extension is virus related NO). Pierre also suggested in a PM that it could be another shell extension that could be using an old API for their shell icon. So it might also be to do with what other applications you have installed.

With some steady analysis over some time I would like to see what particular apps are causing shell incompatibilities with Xnview Shell Ext and when done I could post the names of the apps on this thread. Perhaps it's a Win Explorer issue. Sorry if I didn't help.
Thanks for ferreting out the problem. I did, apparently, install an older version of the extension -- by installing the "Complete" version of XnView available on the download page a couple of days ago. I figured that would be the easiest way to install the program with all its significant parts. It never occurred to me that there would be outdated components in the complete install, since it carried the same, current version number as the basic install.

And -- don't know if it was as crucial to update to the later version of the shell extension as it was to install, specifically, the 64-bit version (which I didn't notice when I downloaded XnView the first time). Whichever of the two caused the problem, or if it was both, the 64-bit install did the trick and the shell extension is working fine now.

Thanks again. :D
...we'll just add water and stir.
budz45
XnThusiast

Re: XnView Shell Extension (Support & Development)

Post by budz45 »

Ok that disarrangement context menu problem is back but it is NOT THE FAULT of Xnview Shell Extension but rather (as Pierre) said to do with another shell extension. I don't think there is anything Pierre can do aboput another extension
or maybe can you fix this Pierre? Since this doesn't happen in the XnShell menu display of 'All':

Within ShellToys I can remove the Kaspersky shell extension from being displayed then all is fine again...
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

I think the 'Associated program' option should be enabled by default. In fact there could also be another third option entitled 'None' (for users that don't wish the image to launch in any viewer). :D
as you can see on a default installtion on Vista, it is blank..
Last edited by budz45 on Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

Can we expect a new version of XnShell after the next xnview mp update?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

budz45 wrote:Can we expect a new version of XnShell after the next xnview mp update?
I'll release soon XnView 1.97.1 & XnViewMP 0.22, and after yes i'll work on XnShell
Pierre.
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

xnview wrote:
budz45 wrote:Can we expect a new version of XnShell after the next xnview mp update?
I'll release soon XnView 1.97.1 & XnViewMP 0.22, and after yes i'll work on XnShell
thanks for reply,

before next release of XnShell I will PM you for some things or may PM you even sooner
ckit
XnThusiast

Post by ckit »

I would like the installer version of XnView Shell Extension 2.8.1.0 for x64, the 32-bit one included with XnView doesn't work with my x64 xplorer2 pro.

Thanks!
AMD Ryzen 3 3300X 3.8Ghz, 16Gb DDR4, RX6600XT with Dell U2520D at 2560x1440@60Hz
Windows 11 Pro x64 23H2, PowerToys and Wintoys