Slow recursive search for Annotations (v 0.90)

Older bugs which are supposed to be fixed in 0.84. *** Please try to reproduce your bug and confirm the bug fix. ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

murks31

Slow recursive search for Annotations (v 0.90)

Post by murks31 »

I want to organize quite a lot pictures using XnViewMP.
I used short descriptions using both embedded comments and annotations.
The embedded comments are great to used indexed search of the methadata using DocFetcher, it's a really fast way to find pictures. But the program doesn't show thumbnails.
I can get fast results if I search nonrecursive inside one folder using quicksearch or the advanced search option.
To open all pictures recursive at the trunk of the tree to use quicksearch is a possibility, but to open all the pictures will need some time.
To search all the folders recursive using advanced search will also need a lot of time.
So I thought it would be wise to search not for comments but for annotations. Then the program has only to go through the description.ion files an not through all the pictures. A simple text-search through a few dozens of "text-files" should be simple and fast, shouldn't it?
An that is true if I use XnView (recursive search for annotations is a lot faster than the same search for comments). It is not true for XnViewXP. I tried it out.
Why is that so? Are there plans to change the algorithm for faster search of annotations? Or should i just uses good old XnView oder XnView and XnViewMP parallel for different tasks?

EDIT: I planed to change to XnViewMP because I think it is the more promising product in the future.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Slow recursive search for Annotations (v 0.90)

Post by xnview »

you search by annotations with Search dialog?
Pierre.
murks31

Post by murks31 »

Yes, I open the search dialog with Ctrl+F, select "Recursive through subfolders" and add a condition for an annotion.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

:bugconfirmed: Thanks to your detailed description I can reproduce the problem.
Pierre.
murks31

Post by murks31 »

Thanks for looking into the problem so fast.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

This problem is supposed to be fixed in XnView MP 0.91. Please check and confirm the bug fix here.
Pierre.