Using Edit IPTC-IIM dialog changes image's saved state

Reported bugs that have been closed and/or resolved

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

fractl

Using Edit IPTC-IIM dialog changes image's saved state

Post by fractl »

Subject: 0.98.2: Using Edit IPTC-IIM with a batch of images keeps presenting a Confirm (Save) dialogue after metadata changes are made

XnView MP Linux
Version 0.98.2 64bits (Feb 19 2021)
Libformat version 7.75

Changing the metadata using Edit IPTC-IIM in batch mode (more than one file selected), changes the Write state of the file, bringing up a dialogue which asks the user to confirm that they want to save (Yes/No/Cancel) when moving on to the next image.

In my usual workflow, I try and batch edit image captions without touching the mouse, and if I Shift-Tab out of the Caption field, I can press Ctrl+left/right-arrow to move between images. Tab back into Caption field and carry on editing. Now, unless I click Write (which has NO handy keyboard shortcut) for *every* image, I cannot proceed! The alternative is to Save which is of course nonsensical as this throws away picture quality of my JPG images.

Effect: The main effect is annoyance, but it also causes a lot of time to be wasted. Image quality is lost if the user chooses to save, and there should be no need especially if the setting is chosen to keep original date / time for embedded metadata changes.

To reproduce:
1. Select multiple image files
2. Open the Edit IPTC-IIM dialogue
3. Make a change to the Caption field
4. Use the < or > buttons to move onto another image

Actual behaviour (bug): Confirm dialogue appears
Screenshot_2021-03-29_14-48-37 Edit IPTC-IIM Save dialog.png
:bug:

Expected behaviour: Next image and its metadata is displayed for editing
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Using Edit IPTC-IIM dialog changes image's saved state

Post by xnview »

without changing values, you have the dialog??
Pierre.
fractl

Post by fractl »

xnview wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:04 pm without changing values, you have the dialog??
No, I did change the values - just adding and removing some text I was testing with.

I have discovered that if I move on to the next file without clicking the Write button, my caption edits are discarded. That is a new and undesirable behaviour. I used the check box on the Save dialog to get it to stop asking me to save the file because I don't want to throw away my image quality for IPTC changes, but when I forgot to click Write (can we have a keyboard shortcut please!), my edit was gone when I moved on and then came back to check that file. :(

(Looks like I'm going to have to return to Picasa to make my edits, this interface is starting to feel unusable. :| )
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

fractl wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:58 am
xnview wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:04 pm without changing values, you have the dialog??
No, I did change the values - just adding and removing some text I was testing with.

I have discovered that if I move on to the next file without clicking the Write button, my caption edits are discarded. That is a new and undesirable behaviour. I used the check box on the Save dialog to get it to stop asking me to save the file because I don't want to throw away my image quality for IPTC changes, but when I forgot to click Write (can we have a keyboard shortcut please!), my edit was gone when I moved on and then came back to check that file. :(

(Looks like I'm going to have to return to Picasa to make my edits, this interface is starting to feel unusable. :| )
Sorry but i dont understand the problem. If you have used the checkbox, you will have no more the dialog to ask.
Pierre.
fractl

Post by fractl »

The problem is that my Caption edits were unexpectedly discarded.

Re-creation:

1. If the Confirm dialog (below) doesn't appear for you any more, go find the XNVIewMP INI file location and delete it.*
Confirm dialog.png
Confirm dialog.png (19.42 KiB) Viewed 1906 times
* Note: there may be a cleverer way of getting this dialog back, but I couldn't find it.

2. Select 2 images and Open Edit IPTC tool.
3. Add a caption to Image 1
4. Move onto the next image, the Confirm dialog will appear, choose No - you do not want to save this image (just the metadata).
Confirm dialog after 1st change.png

5. Make a change to the second image and then go back to image 1, once again, tell the Confirm dialog, No, do not save.
Confirm dialog after 2nd image change.png

6. Witness what you totally do not expect, the test caption is GONE:
Image 1 missing caption.png

7. Go back to image 2, and the caption there is also GONE:
Image 2 missing caption.png

Now, this little bug is very specific and seems to revolve around the Confirm dialog.

1a. If I change my procedure, and use the checkbox to banish the Confirm dialog:
Confirm dialog after 2nd attempt with checkbox ticked.png

2a. Make again a caption edit to the 2nd image, and return to image 1 (as expected, without a Confirm)
2nd change to 2nd image.png

3a. Note, STILL there is a problem here, the caption put in earlier is GONE:
Image 1 missing caption STILL.png
BUT, here we see how it links to the Confirm dialog's appearance.

4a. Make another change (this is the final step), and return to image 2.
[No more images, sorry, 8 is the max and the Add Files button is greyed out.]

5a. I witnessed that the change to image 2 (made after the Confirm dialog was properly banished) is still there
6a. Back to image 1 and that change is also still there.

So, in conclusion - small bug related to your Confirm dialog that is surely going to catch some people out.

Hope all the images make it nice and clear this time. :)
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

fractl wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 12:17 pm 4. Move onto the next image, the Confirm dialog will appear, choose No - you do not want to save this image (just the metadata).
But if you click on 'No', the metadata will not be saved.

And yes, i confirm, when using checkbox, IPTC is always written...

See issue
Pierre.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

This problem is supposed to be fixed in XnView MP 0.98.4. Please check and confirm the bug fix here.
Pierre.
fractl

Post by fractl »

xnview wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:32 pm This problem is supposed to be fixed in XnView MP 0.98.4. Please check and confirm the bug fix here.
Just installed, and can confirm that the bug is gone - hurrah! Thank you. :)