Tagging

Reported bugs that have been closed and/or resolved

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

Rick

Re: Tagging

Post by Rick »

I like what you have already done. It has speeded up the process quite a bit.
027.gif
027.gif (47.77 KiB) Viewed 1782 times
--
Rick
Rick

Post by Rick »

one tweak would help.
When you start typing a category name, move the "create new" to the bottom of the suggestions. That is used a lot less than the suggestions
--
Rick
jadO

Post by jadO »

xnview wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:53 am What do you think about this new system to enter/access keywords quickly?
Here is what I think:
This new system is not really required because something like this is already in place within the category sets pane.
And the implementation there is superior to this new system.
The only thing that the implementation within category sets is missing is a search input field at the top like the categories pane has it.

If the category sets pane would have a search field, then you basically have what you suggested as new system to enter/access categories quickly but better and with more functions:
1. The buttons of the category sets require less space
2. The buttons of the category sets indicate which categories are already assigned to a single file or multiple files
3. In the category sets pane, you can assign categories alternatively by clicking the buttons, you don't have to scroll a categories tree like in the Categories pane
4. Category sets offer a history and suggestion function
5. The old search works better (Regex is not working with the new search as well as partial match at the beginning)
6. The selection of a single suggestion by enter works in the old search but not in the new one.

So overall I don't see a need to reinvent the wheel. If you put a search field on top of the Category Sets pane you have the same or even better functionality than what is in the new system.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

jadO wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:38 am
xnview wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:53 am What do you think about this new system to enter/access keywords quickly?
Here is what I think:
This new system is not really required because something like this is already in place within the category sets pane.
And the implementation there is superior to this new system.
The only thing that the implementation within category sets is missing is a search input field at the top like the categories pane has it.
In 'category sets', you have no way to enter quickly keywords, and no way to view the list of keywords
Pierre.
jadO

Post by jadO »

xnview wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:31 amIn 'category sets', you have no way to enter quickly keywords, and no way to view the list of keywords
This is why I am saying an input field is missing in the Category Sets. I am sure you could add such a field to Category Sets.
If you would add an input field to Category Sets, then it would be possible to add categories quickly from within Category Sets.

I am already using a layout that almost achieves this: If you put Categories and Category Sets into one pane one above the other, then you can use the input field from Categories while viewing Category Sets at the same time. This is almost like there was an input field in the Category Sets. I hope you understand the layout how I mean it, else I could make a screenshot for clarification.

It is true, the Category Sets don't show the list of keywords but if you have many keywords the tree is not very handy anyway. Typing into an input field is so much faster than scrolling through a tree of hundreds of categories. I almost never ever use the tree of categories. There are some rare cases when you have to lookup something in the tree, but these are very rare for me.

So your new solution would not offer any benefit for me. I would rather stick with my current layout with Categories and Category Sets as it is superior.
jadO

Post by jadO »

And here is an additional idea:

In Category Sets there are the default sections "Assigned", "Suggested" and "History".
How about to add an additional default section "Tree"? This could contain the full category tree like from the Categories pane.
This would be very handy as the sections in Category Sets can be collapsed and expanded as required so even a tree of many categories could be reduced to occupy only minimal space.
jadO

Post by jadO »

I have made some additional suggestions how categories handling could be improved: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=41688
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

jadO wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:19 am So your new solution would not offer any benefit for me. I would rather stick with my current layout with Categories and Category Sets as it is superior.
You're right, so i'll add text field in 'category sets'. Perhaps it will be good to use the new UI to show keywords (white background + x icon)???
Pierre.
jadO

Post by jadO »

xnview wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:21 pm Perhaps it will be good to use the new UI to show keywords (white background + x icon)???
Let me think about that for a bit. I am very used to how it is now and I do not miss an x.
What I like especially is that the way it is it is very space efficient and can show a lot of categories. And I would rather give that priority instead of adding lots of x (an x for every tag) which consume just unnecessary space I think.

There is one improvement though that would be really helpful: When I hover over a tag it would be great if it could display a tooltip that shows the complete category path including all parent categories.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

jadO wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:13 pm
xnview wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:21 pm Perhaps it will be good to use the new UI to show keywords (white background + x icon)???
Let me think about that for a bit. I am very used to how it is now and I do not miss an x.
What I like especially is that the way it is it is very space efficient and can show a lot of categories. And I would rather give that priority instead of adding lots of x (an x for every tag) which consume just unnecessary space I think.
Yes, the other ui will take mose space
There is one improvement though that would be really helpful: When I hover over a tag it would be great if it could display a tooltip that shows the complete category path including all parent categories.
right!
Pierre.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

So no need to have a new tag system, better is to enhance 'Category Sets'
- Search textfield
- "automatically apply parent keywords"
- Suggested keywords must not show keywords already added
- When I hover over a tag it would be great if it could display a tooltip that shows the complete category path including all parent categories.
Pierre.
jadO

Post by jadO »

xnview wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:35 pm So no need to have a new tag system, better is to enhance 'Category Sets'
Yes, that's what I believe but I am also interested what others think.
xnview wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:35 pm- "automatically apply parent keywords"
Only optionally please.
xnview wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:35 pm- Suggested keywords must not show keywords already added
This could be confusing. If you have already assigned a lot of categories to a file, it may not be immediately visible that a specific category has already been assigned. And it would be confusing if a category that I type does not show up. So this would always require to double check if I missspelled or if category is already assigned. Is there an option to colorize suggestions? For example green for already assigned, red for not assigned?
xnview wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:35 pm - When I hover over a tag it would be great if it could display a tooltip that shows the complete category path including all parent categories.
Yes

For
xnview wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:35 pm - Search textfield
I wonder if it would be even possible or if it would an interesting idea to create something like a single search input field as separate pane/item? And make it a universal search/input field that can be used together with any pane be it Favorites, Folders, Categories or Category Sets pane.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

jadO wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:50 pm
xnview wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:35 pm- Suggested keywords must not show keywords already added
This could be confusing. If you have already assigned a lot of categories to a file, it may not be immediately visible that a specific category has already been assigned. And it would be confusing if a category that I type does not show up. So this would always require to double check if I missspelled or if category is already assigned. Is there an option to colorize suggestions? For example green for already assigned, red for not assigned?
I talk about suggested keywords when typing in text field not assigned panel, right?
For
xnview wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:35 pm - Search textfield
I wonder if it would be even possible or if it would an interesting idea to create something like a single search input field as separate pane/item? And make it a universal search/input field that can be used together with any pane be it Favorites, Folders, Categories or Category Sets pane.
Search in category is too specific....
Pierre.
jadO

Post by jadO »

xnview wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:58 pm I talk about suggested keywords when typing in text field not assigned panel, right?
Yes, right, I mean when typing as well.

The reason is, I think if you have many keywords already assigned, you don't always check all keywords before assigning an additional one.
So when you type the keyword into the input field, you expect it to show up.
Now if it does not show up, I would believe I have mistyped or it is already assigned.
So you have to go through all assigned keywords and check. I think it is more time consuming. (Also bear in mind that the "Assigned" section might be moved out of sight or collapsed).

I think it is faster to do what the user expects and shows the keyword even if it is already assigned. Even if you select it again, time lost is very minimal compared to check spelling and check if it is already assigned.

That's what I think.
jadO

Post by jadO »

It seems that nobody is objecting against going with Category Sets, so I guess it is fine to proceed that way.