Navigate through images in random order (without creating a slideshow)

Reported bugs that have been closed and/or resolved

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

winnylinny

Navigate through images in random order (without creating a slideshow)

Post by winnylinny »

Currently on XnViewMP 0.96 we cannot navigate through images in random order, unless we first open up the Browser, select all images in the directory, and then generate a slide show. Even after doing this, you are restricted to full screen and you cannot interact with the images (rotate, mirror, crop, zoom in, zoom out, ... )

Is it possible to implement a feature where we can open up an image in a directory, and simply use a keyboard shortcut (such as CTRL + M) to navigate in random order? Sometimes we just want to open up an image in a folder, and rather than go through our photos in sequential order, we'd like to go through them in random order as a nice "treat". Having to use the slideshow generator to do this every time is tedious and limited.

There are some other image viewers that allow you to go to the Next image, Previous image, or Random image. With XnViewMP, there is only Next and Previous. There is no Random.

In summary, it would be great if we can just go to a random image, instead of being restricted to only next and previous, without having to go through all the procedures of opening the Browser, selecting all images, creating a slideshow, and being limited to only full screen without any means to interact with the images.
Last edited by winnylinny on Sun May 03, 2020 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
helmut

Re: Scroll through images in random order (without creating a slideshow)

Post by helmut »

Welcome to the XnView forum and thank you for your suggestions, winnylinny.

Perhaps a different approach to your requirement:

Currently, In the browser of XnView MP, the user can create an arbitrary manual order by dragging the thumbnails of the images to the desired position.

Suggestion:
Perhaps there could be a "Shuffle" function in browser mode which shuffles the images (=thumbnails) randomly. The shuffling could be another way to influence the manual sort order of the images.

This might be a good and simple way to meet your requirement. What do you think?
winnylinny

Re: Scroll through images in random order (without creating a slideshow)

Post by winnylinny »

helmut wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 9:49 amThis might be a good and simple way to meet your requirement. What do you think?
That would make a nice addition to using the Browser, but it still requires extra steps for the end-user.

Some Image Viewers allow you to navigate...
* Previous file
* Next file
* Random file

XnViewMP only allows...
* Previous file
* Next file

random-navigation.jpg
What would greatly enhance the user experience is a simple "Random file" navigation button or keyboard shortcut (or both).

This would not require extra steps in the Browser prior to actually opening up an image. With my suggestion, simply opening an image from the operating system's file manager would allow a user to navigate through their images in sequential order or random order.
helmut

Re: Navigate through images in random order (without creating a slideshow)

Post by helmut »

In view mode, there are toolbar buttons "Previous file" and "Next file". And in the menu "View > File >" you can find even more entries for navigation but there's no "Random file", yet:
Navigate-Random.png
Navigate-Random.png (19.98 KiB) Viewed 4279 times
Perhaps there should be a way to get a random order both in browser mode and in view mode. Perhaps something like this:
Browser mode: View > Sort by > Random
Image View mode: View > File > Random (function should be available via menu, toolbar button, and keyboard shortcut)
winnylinny

Post by winnylinny »

helmut wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:36 pmPerhaps there should be a way to get a random order both in browser mode and in view mode. Perhaps something like this:
Browser mode: View > Sort by > Random
Image View mode: View > File > Random (function should be available via menu, toolbar button, and keyboard shortcut)
That would be perfect!
winnylinny

Post by winnylinny »

Is there any update to this? Does the developer know about the request? :?:
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

winnylinny wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:50 pm Is there any update to this? Does the developer know about the request? :?:
you can use 'quick slideshow' in view mode
Pierre.
winnylinny

Post by winnylinny »

xnview wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:01 am
winnylinny wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:50 pm Is there any update to this? Does the developer know about the request? :?:
you can use 'quick slideshow' in view mode
winnylinny wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:27 pmEven after doing this, you are restricted to full screen and you cannot interact with the images (rotate, mirror, crop, zoom in, zoom out, ... )

Having to use the slideshow generator to do this every time is tedious and limited.
It would still not be on par with other viewers that let you easily navigate in random order. XnViewMP still requires extra steps and limited viewing function by making the user have to start a slideshow just to navigate in random order.

While viewing the photos, it would be great if we could....
  • View next image
  • View previous image
  • View random image
I hate to sound repetitive, but it's really that simple. There is nothing about this request that goes beyond what other image viewers allow.

The viewing experience is streamlined in XnViewMP, such as using the mousewheel, the navigation menu, the keyboard. It just lacks a simple "random" navigation. Keyboard shortcut and menu button would suiffice.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

The viewing experience is streamlined in XnViewMP, such as using the mousewheel, the navigation menu, the keyboard. It just lacks a simple "random" navigation. Keyboard shortcut and menu button would suiffice.

A keyboard shortcut or menu option, or maybe a toolbar button?

Do you only wish to select a random image once, or a series of randomly selected images? Some users might want just one, probably more users I suspect a series, so ideally both options might be supported...

In the browser an option View > Sort by > Random if it were added would display a series using the normal keyboard or mouse next file actions, wouldn't it?

I'm not sure where a viewer menu option would fit, View > File > Random would only select the 'next file' randomly if it were consistent with the other options, wouldn't it?

Another possible interface:

There could be a setting in Tools > Options > Interface --Keyboard or --Mouse although in general those options probably have poor 'discoverability'.

However, a new keyboard option for the Space key 'Next file - Random' could probably be easily added, and could support either a single random image or a series of random images if pressed repeatedly. :idea:
winnylinny

Post by winnylinny »

cday wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:14 pm

A keyboard shortcut or menu option, or maybe a toolbar button?
All of the above are great! But at least a menu option or keyboard shortcut, at minimum. And once an ability to navigate through images in random order is possible, the rest seems trivial: adding a button or menu item is simple.

Do you only wish to select a random image once, or a series of randomly selected images? Some users might want just one, probably more users I suspect a series, so ideally both options might be supported...
I'm trying my best to avoid making this more complicated than it really is. It's simple, just add one more navigation direction: next, previous, random

There's really nothing more to it than that. It has nothing to do with "sorting" or slideshows or the Browser. It has nothing to do with creating a custom series or custom navigation. It has nothing to do with a "just once" action.

Add one more navigation direction: next, previous, random

I'm not sure how else to explain this, nor why this simple feature (which other image viewers have) is getting so confabulated with overly-complex scenarios.

I apologize if I sound brash. I'm not upset, just really confused.

Open up an image. Cool. Press a button to go to the next image. Again, next image. Again, next image. Oh, wait, let me go back! Previous image. Hm, let me enhance the colors. Cool. Done. Hmmm, you know, let's not navigate by a predictable sequential order. Random image. Nice! Random image again. Oh, I remember that one! Random image again. Hah, yeah I was shaking when I took that photo. Random image again...
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

The screenshot you posted to another software shows a 'Go' button which XnView MP currently doesn't have, maybe it could be added if Pierre likes your suggestion.

I tried to analyse your need above, and as I thought about it saw more and more possible interfaces that might meet your need, and also the possibility that other users might wish to view not only single random images, but also a series of random images.

You have now clarified that you are looking to be able to easily view a single random image, and the interface you described above could also in fact be used to view a series of random images if desired, although the need for two clicks, one on the menu bar and a second when the 'Go' menu opens, means that it probably isn't ideal for viewing a series of random images.

Although you are interested in viewing single random images, I suspect that other users who have posted before do wish to be able to easily step through a series of random images. If Pierre doesn't feel another menu item similar to the above 'Go' item is justified, the various possibilities I identified above, and maybe other possibilities, could be considered.

While you were posting, I edited my post to add another possible interface:

There could also be a setting in Tools > Options > Interface --Keyboard or --Mouse, although in general those options probably have poor 'discoverability'.

However, a new keyboard option for the Space key Next file - Random could probably be easily added, and could support either a single random image or a series of random images if pressed repeatedly. That should provide a good interface once configured, although probably not a way to return to a previous random image. :idea:

I think there is general interest in being able to view random images either singly or as a series, so hopefully Pierre will consider adding that when he has time. :D
winnylinny

Post by winnylinny »

cday wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:17 pm The screenshot you posted to another software shows a 'Go' button which XnView MP currently doesn't have
It was just an example screenshot from another software application to illustrate the request in very simple terms. I was not highlighting the "Go" menu, nor was I implying XnViewMP should have a "Go" menu.

In this other software, I can use the menu or the keyboard shortcut (CTRL + M) to navigate in random order. I do not need to start a slideshow. I do not need to sort anything in a browser. It does not effect the "flow" of using the program, nor does it require "extra steps". Would it look cleaner with a "button"? Sure! But that was just a quick example screenshot for the sake of making the point more clear. :)

I tried to analyse your need above, and as I thought about it saw more and more possible interfaces that might meet your need, and also the possibility that other users might wish to view a series of random images, editing my post several times.
I understand, but there's a reason I'm keeping it very simple: because it is a simple concept that is found in other software. It is what I consider a practical default. Just like panning and zooming images in a viewer is expected in any software these days, so too should navigating in random order.

You have now clarified that you are looking to be able to easily view a single random image, and the interface you described above could also in fact be used to view a series of random images if desired, although the need for two clicks, one on the menu bar and a second when the 'Go' menu opens, means that it probably isn't ideal for viewing a series of random images.
Please ignore the "Go" menu. That's just how this other program is laid out. See my earlier response. I completely agree that a "button" or keyboard shortcut is much more streamlined!

However, a new keyboard option for the Space key Next file - Random could probably be easily added, and could support either a single random image or a series of random images if pressed repeatedly. That should provide a good interface once configured, although probably not a way to return to a previous random image. :idea:
That's fine for later if this feature needs to be more fine-tuned and customizable. However, as it stands now, not even this feature is implemented even in its most basic form: navigate to random image.

I think there is general interest in being able to view random images either singly or as a series, so hopefully Pierre will consider adding that when he has time. :D
I don't use XnViewMP exclusively because it lacks this very feature. I find that I use it the majority of time, but I use another program when I wish to navigate through images in random order. :(

I think this would make a superb addition to an already great image viewer! :mrgreen:
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

See issue for current status and some details.
Pierre.
winnylinny

Post by winnylinny »

Oh this is GREAT news! Thank you, Pierre! I can't wait to test it out. :D
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

This problem is supposed to be fixed in XnView MP 0.98.0. Please check and confirm the bug fix here.
Pierre.