0.83: Selection with the keyboard controls is inconsistent

Reported bugs that have been closed and/or resolved

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

jon_joy_1999

0.83: Selection with the keyboard controls is inconsistent

Post by jon_joy_1999 »

When selecting multiple items with the keyboard, using Shift-Left and Shift-Right, selecting an item and then moving with shift-left or shift-right will select an adjacent icon, wrapping the selection when either end of an icon row is reached. Performing the opposite operation (e.g. shift-right after shift-left) will deselect icons.
Starting with the first selected item at the beginning or end of the row of icons, if the next adjacent icon selected is on a different row, then performing the opposite operation the adjacent icon selected is not deselected

For example, if you have 9 icons laid out on multiple lines, for example like

Code: Select all

1 a g 2 b
8 l k f
Selecting g, then selecting 2 with shift-right, then deselecting the 2 with shift-left, only g is selected.

The bug is when selecting b, then selecting 8 with shift-right then deselecting 8 with shift left, b and 8 are still selected.
This bug also occurs in reverse order.
helmut

Re: Selection with the keyboard controls is inconsistent

Post by helmut »

jon_joy_1999 wrote:...The bug is when selecting b, then selecting 8 with shift-right then deselecting 8 with shift left, b and 8 are still selected.
This bug also occurs in reverse order.
:bugconfirmed: Thanks to your detailed description I could reproduce the problem. The important bit is that selection starts at the last thumbnail of the line and wraps into the next line.
jon_joy_1999

Re: 0.83: Selection with the keyboard controls is inconsiste

Post by jon_joy_1999 »

I can confirm that the bug occurs when the selection starts at the end of the line and wraps to the next line.
--
I wasn't sure how the bug manifested itself. At first I thought it was inconsistent, because if you shift-right through a bunch of files and then shift-left back to deselect them, the bug doesn't happen, but if you shift-left through a bunch of files then shift-right to deselect it will occur on each row. The important bit that the selection starts at the end of each row is quite enlightening :D
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: 0.83: Selection with the keyboard controls is inconsiste

Post by xnview »

Sorry but i can't reproduce, could you explain more?
Pierre.
jon_joy_1999

Re: 0.83: Selection with the keyboard controls is inconsistent

Post by jon_joy_1999 »

The bug exhibited in version 0.87 64bits

The bug is on the 3rd frame of the first two images, where the first opposite shift doesn't deselect the selected file

(Large image warning)

xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

See issue for current status and some details.
Pierre.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

This problem is supposed to be fixed in XnView MP 0.91. Please check and confirm the bug fix here.
Pierre.
jon_joy_1999

Post by jon_joy_1999 »

Hello! just downloaded XnView MP 0.91 beta and I have confirmed it is fixed in that version, thank you!