0.72: Random slideshow gets stuck

Reported bugs that have been closed and/or resolved

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

Marsu42

0.72: Random slideshow gets stuck

Post by Marsu42 »

When I play a slideshow with "random" and "loop on the file list", after some images it gets stuck and the images don't change anymore. The "quick slideshow button" on the toolbar is still "pressed down", and the only way to re-start the slideshow is to click it twice - so this appears to be a real bug.

With "forward" or "backward" slideshow order it works just fine (as long as I tried to play a show, that is). I selected "keep current image" and "read one image ahead" and didn't try to debug it myself (de-)selecting these options. The problem doesn't seem to be that it only randomizes the list once and doesn't loop because it shows more images than the folder contains and some images get shown twice before the show stops.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Random slideshow gets stuck (0.72)

Post by xnview »

do you have a lot of files in this folder?
Pierre.
Marsu42

Post by Marsu42 »

xnview wrote:do you have a lot of files in this folder?
No, not at all - I can reproduce this reliably even with a very small amount of files. But my laptop is rather slow to begin with and has crawling hard disk speed if other programs are active, if this helps.

Probably one things that's a pita to debug if it works fine on your box, sorry :-\ but I find this serious enough to warrant an investigation. I'm happy to provide any additional information if I happen to visit over here from time to time.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

are you able to reproduce it with 3 images?
Pierre.
Marsu42

Post by Marsu42 »

xnview wrote:are you able to reproduce it with 3 images?
Good debugging idea! I've got 3 images 1.jpg, 2.jpg and 3.jpg...

1. View 1.jpg and start slideshow - keeps switching a few times between 2.jpg and 3.jpg, 1.jpg is never to be seen again. That's probably the "big" bug that makes the show getting stuck: The random generator never selects the first picture, but is probably looking for imagelist+1 ... a classic 0-based list bug?

2. Nitpick: The slideshow icon has a little arrow to the bottom, implying there's a drop-down menu like in XnView Classic, but it doesn't appear in MP. There's also no "Tools" menu item to start the slide show (or I couldn't find it), so you have to have an icon on the toolbar?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Marsu42 wrote: 1. View 1.jpg and start slideshow - keeps switching a few times between 2.jpg and 3.jpg, 1.jpg is never to be seen again. That's probably the "big" bug that makes the show getting stuck: The random generator never selects the first picture, but is probably looking for imagelist+1 ... a classic 0-based list bug?
ok, i can reproduce
See Issue 630 for current status and details.
2. Nitpick: The slideshow icon has a little arrow to the bottom, implying there's a drop-down menu like in XnView Classic, but it doesn't appear in MP. There's also no "Tools" menu item to start the slide show (or I couldn't find it), so you have to have an icon on the toolbar?
I dont have an arrow...
Pierre.
Marsu42

Post by Marsu42 »

xnview wrote:
Marsu42 wrote: See Issue 630 for current status and details.
Thanks, "resolved in 0.75" ... sorry for asking the obvious, where does one obtain a version newer than 0.72 which seems to be the only version linked around here? Or are you also doing release numbers for versions that are aren't public? Thanks.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Marsu42 wrote:
xnview wrote:
Marsu42 wrote: See Issue 630 for current status and details.
Thanks, "resolved in 0.75" ... sorry for asking the obvious, where does one obtain a version newer than 0.72 which seems to be the only version linked around here? Or are you also doing release numbers for versions that are aren't public? Thanks.
the 0.75 is not public, yet.
Pierre.
helmut

Re: 0.72: Random slideshow gets stuck

Post by helmut »

Works fine for me in0.84.

:arrow: Closed. (Please post here in case the problem should occur again.)