0.84: Cannot change settings path

Older bugs which are supposed to be fixed in 0.84. *** Please try to reproduce your bug and confirm the bug fix. ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

dannylin

0.84: Cannot change settings path

Post by dannylin »

On XnView MP 0.84 / Windows 7

1. Change the XnView settings path to user (system) or Windows Registry
2. Restart XnView
3. The settings path was back to XnView Directory

Furthermore, a user without administrator permission will lose all settings after restarting XnView since XnView settings ini file is in the Program Files directory and the user does not have permission to write to it.
Last edited by dannylin on Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: 0.84: cannot change settings path

Post by xnview »

dannylin wrote:On XnView MP 0.84 / Windows 7

1. Change the XnView settings path to user (system) or Windows Registry
2. Restart XnView
3. The settings path was back to XnView Directory
the setting was on 'program' before?
Pierre.
dannylin

Post by dannylin »

xnview wrote: the setting was on 'program' before?
Yes.

I did a fresh install again (i.e. log in as the administrator, uninstall XnViewMP, delete %ProgramFiles%\XnViewMP folder, delete %AppData%\XnViewMP folder, install XnViewMP). An initialization wizard will shown after installation complete. The default setting is to use XnView folder for XnView settings. If the user simply keep the default settings, he will encounter this bug. He has to shutdown XnView MP, remove %ProgramFiles%\XnViewMP\XnView.ini and %AppData%\XnViewMP\XnView.ini manually to get the initialization wizard shown again and change the setting.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

dannylin wrote: I did a fresh install again (i.e. log in as the administrator, uninstall XnViewMP, delete %ProgramFiles%\XnViewMP folder, delete %AppData%\XnViewMP folder, install XnViewMP). An initialization wizard will shown after installation complete. The default setting is to use XnView folder for XnView settings. If the user simply keep the default settings, he will encounter this bug. He has to shutdown XnView MP, remove %ProgramFiles%\XnViewMP\XnView.ini and %AppData%\XnViewMP\XnView.ini manually to get the initialization wizard shown again and change the setting.
The default setting must not be 'XnView folder' but 'User', i'll change that
Pierre.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

This problem is supposed to be fixed in XnView MP 0.85 beta 1. Please check and confirm the bug fix here.
Pierre.
dannylin

Re: 0.84: Cannot change settings path

Post by dannylin »

It's fixed. But there are still minor issues (in v0.85):

1. If I set "XnView settings > Use .ini in folder" to "Program (XnView)" in the Tools > Settings dialog using a user without administrator permission, I get a message "Please be careful to folder rights by using XnView folder", which is quite vague. I think it would be better if it says something like "Note: the OS user must have read and write permissions of the XnView folder to get this setting work".

2. If I set "XnView settings > Use .ini in folder" to "Program (XnView)" in the Startup Wizard, I never get the warning message.