0.81 Windows: xnviewmp.exe sticky process after close

Older bugs which are supposed to be fixed in 0.84. *** Please try to reproduce your bug and confirm the bug fix. ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

Marsu42

0.81 Windows: xnviewmp.exe sticky process after close

Post by Marsu42 »

I know this isn't exactly the most helpful bug report, but it happens rather often and is annoying:

After closing XnViewMP (I'm currently running x64), the task is still active even though the window is gone. The task keeps consuming the same amount of cpu power (25% on my 4-core system), i.e. seems to be stuck in a loop. If "One instance of program only" is checked, of course other xnview instances refuse to open unless the stuck program is killed somehow, for example using the taskmanager.

I wonder if it's just a case of "just me", but I have this problem for quite a long time and a longer series of xnviewmp versions :-\
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: [Windows] xnviewmp.exe sticky process after close

Post by xnview »

always? All thumbnails are built?
Pierre.
Marsu42

Post by Marsu42 »

xnview wrote:always? All thumbnails are built?
It happens maybe in 10'% of cases, and thumbnails don't seem to have anything to do with it - I open a file from the command line or explorer (i.e. single image mode), sometimes browse other files in the same folder with back/forward, and then close xnview. One possible hint is that the more busy my computer is, the more often the stuck process seems to occur, or if I close xnview very quickly after opening an image file... but's it's really hard to pin down unless debugging in which loop it's stuck.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

so only in viewer mode?
Pierre.
Marsu42

Post by Marsu42 »

xnview wrote:so only in viewer mode?
I guess so since I'm using viewer mode most of the time, but I cannot completely exclude the possibility that is has never been stuck from browser mode, ever :-\ ... I'm so used to kill it from task manager by now I really don't memorize what the last mode was before quitting xnview.

Btw it's not like I'm running a completely maiden windows and just xnview for bug tracking purposes, but xnview is the only app that has this behavior on my system.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

do you use 'read ahead'?
Pierre.
Marsu42

Post by Marsu42 »

xnview wrote:do you use 'read ahead'?
Yes, absolutely. I can try to disable it and see if it still hangs though, even if's tricky to tell as it occurs only so often.

Btw: Don't let me detain you from expanding this like "Read _ images ahead" - if there's enough memory, why not read ahead more like FastPictureViewer does?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Marsu42 wrote:
Yes, absolutely. I can try to disable it and see if it still hangs though, even if's tricky to tell as it occurs only so often.
always a running process?
Pierre.
Marsu42

Post by Marsu42 »

xnview wrote:
Marsu42 wrote:
always a running process?
What do you mean with "always a running process"? If it's stuck after close (i.e. XnViewMP window is gone), then yes, it's always running at 25% cpu load (4-core system).
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Marsu42 wrote: What do you mean with "always a running process"? If it's stuck after close (i.e. XnViewMP window is gone), then yes, it's always running at 25% cpu load (4-core system).
i means without 'read ahead'?
Pierre.
Marsu42

Post by Marsu42 »

xnview wrote:
Marsu42 wrote: What do you mean with "always a running process"? If it's stuck after close (i.e. XnViewMP window is gone), then yes, it's always running at 25% cpu load (4-core system).
i means without 'read ahead'?
Nope, it seems without read ahead xnviewmp closes just fine. Alas, I didn't try it a 1000 times so I cannot say for certain that this is the definitive source of the problem, but seems like a very likely candidate to me.
helmut

Re: 0.81 Windows: xnviewmp.exe sticky process after close

Post by helmut »

@Pierre: Is there are problem with "Read image ahead"? If yes, has this been fixed?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

helmut wrote:@Pierre: Is there are problem with "Read image ahead"? If yes, has this been fixed?
yes in previous version, was fixed in 0.84
Pierre.
helmut

Post by helmut »

xnview wrote:.. yes in previous version, was fixed in 0.84
O.k.

@Marsu42: Could you please try v0.84 and confirm the bug fix?