IPTC/XMP Problem

Older bugs which are supposed to be fixed in 0.84. *** Please try to reproduce your bug and confirm the bug fix. ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

snowity1

IPTC/XMP Problem

Post by snowity1 »

i'm using xnview mp 0.72, there are some problems i've met:
1) When i clean the metadata(iptc,xmp,etc.), the size of JPEG file will decrease, eg. from 3.5MB to 2.8MB, however it won't happen when i just delete metadata by ExifTool. It's a critical bug which will impact on original files.
2) When i'm modifying the IPTC/XMP data (XMP, updating IPTC mode) and clearing the Caption field, IPTC caption field will be deleted but XMP-dc:description field is still the original data
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: IPTC/XMP Problem

Post by xnview »

snowity1 wrote: 1) When i clean the metadata(iptc,xmp,etc.), the size of JPEG file will decrease, eg. from 3.5MB to 2.8MB, however it won't happen when i just delete metadata by ExifTool. It's a critical bug which will impact on original files.
Huffman optimization can be made, but data are not modified
2) When i'm modifying the IPTC/XMP data (XMP, updating IPTC mode) and clearing the Caption field, IPTC caption field will be deleted but XMP-dc:description field is still the original data
if you change the value it works for the 2 fields?
Pierre.
snowity1

Post by snowity1 »

xnview wrote:
snowity1 wrote: 1) When i clean the metadata(iptc,xmp,etc.), the size of JPEG file will decrease, eg. from 3.5MB to 2.8MB, however it won't happen when i just delete metadata by ExifTool. It's a critical bug which will impact on original files.
Huffman optimization can be made, but data are not modified
1) I've unchecked Huffman optimization before, but the filesize is still changed, so maybe testing it over will be better.
2) IPTC Caption and XMP-dc:description refer to the same value according to the mapping between iptc and xmp which is the value inputed in "Caption Field". If i changed the Caption of the file, both iptc and xmp tag are changed to the new value, but when i delete the info in Caption, it only works in IPTC but not in XMP
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

snowity1 wrote: 2) When i'm modifying the IPTC/XMP data (XMP, updating IPTC mode) and clearing the Caption field, IPTC caption field will be deleted but XMP-dc:description field is still the original data
See Issue 639 for current status and details.
Pierre.
snowity1

Post by snowity1 »

xnview wrote:
snowity1 wrote: 2) When i'm modifying the IPTC/XMP data (XMP, updating IPTC mode) and clearing the Caption field, IPTC caption field will be deleted but XMP-dc:description field is still the original data
See Issue 639 for current status and details.
Thanks a lot for noticing such a minor bug. And I've found such problem also in "Object Name'(IPTC-origin:Object name, xmp-dc:title) or some fields
helmut

Post by helmut »

This problem is supposed to be fixed in XnView MP 0.75 or later. Could you please try and confirm the bug fix, snowity1?