0.64 Send image via email - text part

Older bugs which are supposed to be fixed in 0.84. *** Please try to reproduce your bug and confirm the bug fix. ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

dietmar

0.64 Send image via email - text part

Post by dietmar »

Using 0.64 on Ubuntu I noticed the following problem when sending an image via email. As this might be related to the email client receiving the message, I'm not sure if it's an MP bug. Could some of you check and try to verify?

When sending an image as an email, XnView Classic used to compose the message and the open the standard email client to (change and) send it. MP directly sends the email without further interaction, at least on this Ubuntu machine. [I'm not sure I like this change ;-) ]

When I enter non-ASCII characters in my email message, such as German umlauts or the ß (HTML: ß ) character, these are not displayed correctly at the recipient (using Thunderbird).

Dietmar
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: 0.64 Send image via email - text part

Post by xnview »

XnView on ubuntu use Wine, and use MAPI. But XnViewMP is native, and send email by smtp directly... I'll try to find a way to use default client
Pierre.
m.Th.
XnThusiast

Post by m.Th. »

dietmar wrote:Using 0.64 on Ubuntu I noticed the following problem when sending an image via email. As this might be related to the email client receiving the message, I'm not sure if it's an MP bug. Could some of you check and try to verify?

When sending an image as an email, XnView Classic used to compose the message and the open the standard email client to (change and) send it. MP directly sends the email without further interaction, at least on this Ubuntu machine. [I'm not sure I like this change ;-) ]

When I enter non-ASCII characters in my email message, such as German umlauts or the ß (HTML: ß ) character, these are not displayed correctly at the recipient (using Thunderbird).

Dietmar
Yeah, I know how it is. Well... ...come to the email message hell. :)

To Pierre:

Try to change all the message text to "&" codes. Here's the Delphi function for this:

Code: Select all

function NormalizeHTML(s: string): string;
var
  i: integer;

begin
  Result:='';
  for i := 1 to Length(s) do
    if s[i]>='Α' then
      Result:=Result+'&#'+IntToStr(Ord(s[i]))+';'
    else
      Result:=Result+s[i];
end;
If you have any problem, just call me. ;)
m. Th.

- Dark Themed XnViewMP 1.6 64bit on Win11 x64 -
dietmar

Post by dietmar »

m.Th. wrote:Try to change all the message text to "&" codes.
M.Th., this will only work on HTML formatted mail.
The correct way would be to send a multi-part message (as Pierre does) with the text part as
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
(as Pierre does), but to put the correct UTF codes into the message for non-ASCII characters.

Dietmar
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

See Issue 272 for current status and details.
Pierre.
helmut

Post by helmut »

This problem is supposed to be fixed in XnView MP 0.66 or later. Could you please try and confirm the bug fix, dietmar?
dietmar

Post by dietmar »

helmut wrote:This problem is supposed to be fixed in XnView MP 0.66 or later. Could you please try and confirm the bug fix, dietmar?
Helmut, as there's now an option "Use default client", this is all I need. I don't need (and want to) put the SMPT login into XnView. The auto-generated email look fine in the client.

On a side note, the email dialog's recipient list is ordered backwards. Thus it defaults to the first email you ever sent an image to, not to the last recently used one.

Dietmar