Special Items -> "Uncategorized" to Hide Folders?

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

rinthe

Special Items -> "Uncategorized" to Hide Folders?

Post by rinthe »

So some of my images are separated into many folders and subfolders. All the images have meta data embedded in them. When I rebuild my categories, I have to go through each folder. 2 Questions.

1. Is there a way to rebuild the categories for ALL IMAGES within all subfolders by just selecting the parent folder?

2. When I click on a folder with subfolders in it. XnView puts all of those subfolder within Special Items -> "Uncategorized" section. Which results in a really long and messy list of folders in that category. Is there a way to clear that up? I've tried Filter by Images, but the folders still show up.

Update: I just noticed another thing. When I try to delete in Settings->Catalog individual Cached Directories that include only subfolders and no images, they get deleted but after I exit out the settings window and go back in. The deleted Cached directory comes back! This is a bug right?

Any help/suggestion is appreciated.
michel038
XnThusiast

Re: Special Items -> "Uncategorized" to Hide Folders?

Post by michel038 »

I 'm bulding categories for all my images by adding only I:\photos
... and all subfolders are read

- Are you using windows, linux , mac OS ?
- Names of folders and subfolders are simple or not ?
- Did you add anything in (Tools, Settings,Catalog) Base path of your pictures :
(I dont write anything here)
- Did you delete your xnview.db first ?
- Your pictures contain IPTC:keywords, or XMP:subject or XMP:LR:hierarchicalsubject ?
rinthe

Post by rinthe »

How do you go about building categories? Do you do so by navigating to the folders with images? Or some other way?

-I'm on windows 10 pro.
-Some of the names of the folders and subfolders are kind of complex. Does that make a difference?
-Base path is set for all of pictures.
-Yes I deleted xnview.db first.
-I'm not sure. But when I set the category for all these pictures. Export DB Category to XM Subject and ITPC keyword is checked. And both Create XMP data and Create IPTC data is checked. Read hierachical keywords | is checked too.
michel038
XnThusiast

Post by michel038 »

How do you go about building categories? Do you do so by navigating to the folders with images? Or some other way?
Other way ! Tools, settings, Catalog, Add folders
Now I understand the problem. Viewing folders is not the best way ...

I remeber some problems with long pathnames, but it was old versions.