Is there a way to display the number of Megapixels in an image's thumbnail?

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

hyperhans

Is there a way to display the number of Megapixels in an image's thumbnail?

Post by hyperhans »

As this topic's title implies, and after checking out the properties tab in the Info pane, I noticed a "Dimension" field that says just how many megapixels an image has, I wonder if that could be somehow displayed on the thumbnail info.

Thanks in advance for any light shed on this.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Is there a way to display the number of Megapixels in an image's thumbnail?

Post by xnview »

currently no way
Pierre.
hyperhans

Post by hyperhans »

I know it's just probably my asking so far, but would consider implementing that in the future?

I don't know about others, but I find it useful to know, after more than a decade I took a photograph, whether it was cropped or not, if it somehow reaches the minimal requirements for a contest and the like and by just looking at width and height won't just do that as straightforward as knowing the megapixel count would.

Also, seizing the opportunity to say: thank you so much for such a versatile and well-polished image organizer that XnViewMP is!
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

xnview wrote:currently no way
But if you have View > View as > Thumbnails selected, hovering the mouse over a thumbnail displays the file size, if that is any help?

Clipboard01.png
Clipboard01.png (197.5 KiB) Viewed 359 times
Edit:

You also have View > View as > Thumbs + Details which displays the image size direcly...
hyperhans

Post by hyperhans »

I know what you mean, but in this case, not when you have several different versions of the same image or several different shots of a same sequence which god-knows/remembers how you cropped or resized them years ago.

Edit: it's not exactly a life-and-death feature, but for the quickest (though rough) estimate of how far you can print or use a certain image (and keeping the marketing babble aside), nothing beats the megapixel count for that purpose, IMO, as it is not DPI-dependent, as it is the case with the width and height in pixels, for that matter.