Putting Files into the Catalog?

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Xnout!

Putting Files into the Catalog?

Post by Xnout! »

Is there a certain step(s) you take to scan files into the catalog or does the program
automatically do that when opening folders/files?
Xnout!

Re: Putting Files into the Catalog?

Post by Xnout! »

I think I've found the answer here viewtopic.catalog+scan#p134680.

I've got another question I'm thinking of, but this will probably answer it. I'll test it out.
Xnout!

Post by Xnout! »

I put the images into cache and the results are just "shrug" at this point. I have 2 issues.

1. I'm a big fan of the "show files in subfolder" feature. If I click on the drive letter that my images are in,
to show all of my images at once, it slowly loads the images with progress/percentage bar at the bottom right of the program.

This happens despite the images being loaded into the cache. Is that normal? I noticed that if the images are "not" in the catalog
the first time I use that feature, they load very slow. Any time after the first time, they still load fairly slow but considerably quicker
than the first time. When cached, they load very slow each time they're loaded. :(

2. When I use the search function to search categories as a condition, with catalog and recurse through subfolders checked,
it only finds the category I choose if I choose the folder the image(s) with that category is in. On the other hand, if I choose the
drive letter "all" my images are in, with catalog and recurse through subfolders checked, it doesn't find anything. :(
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Xnout! wrote: 1. I'm a big fan of the "show files in subfolder" feature. If I click on the drive letter that my images are in,
to show all of my images at once, it slowly loads the images with progress/percentage bar at the bottom right of the program.

This happens despite the images being loaded into the cache. Is that normal? I noticed that if the images are "not" in the catalog
the first time I use that feature, they load very slow. Any time after the first time, they still load fairly slow but considerably quicker
than the first time. When cached, they load very slow each time they're loaded. :(
I've tried, and cache is used. If you cache each of you folders before, do you have same problem when using 'show in subfolder'?
2. When I use the search function to search categories as a condition, with catalog and recurse through subfolders checked,
it only finds the category I choose if I choose the folder the image(s) with that category is in. On the other hand, if I choose the
drive letter "all" my images are in, with catalog and recurse through subfolders checked, it doesn't find anything. :(
could you post the screenshot of your search dialog?
Pierre.
Xnout!

Post by Xnout! »

xnview wrote:I've tried, and cache is used. If you cache each of you folders before, do you have same problem when using 'show in subfolder'?
#1 To explain a little better, what happens after folders are in cache is the "thumbnail icons" for all the images load fairly quickly, but the time it takes
to load the "thumbnail images" is very slow and results in a very slow lower right progress bar.
xnview wrote:could you post the screenshot of your search dialog?
#2 Here are a few images for both "slow load" and "search" issues.
I couldn't get all of the image descriptions at the bottom of the images to stick (when I reloaded album page some disappeared) so, I'll list
all the image names here, corresponding to the order of the album.

Slow load
1. 01a Thumbnail icons waiting to load thumbnail images (too long, even though cache)
2. 01b Thumbnail icons waiting to load thumbnail images (progress bar takes too long)
3. 01c Catalog base path and cached drive-folders

Catalog Search
1. 02a Specific folder of image (search settings dialog)
2. 02b Specific folder of image (search results dialog)
3. 02c Drive the image is in (search settings dialog)
4. 02d Drive the image is in (search results dialog)

image album
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Xnout! wrote:
xnview wrote:I've tried, and cache is used. If you cache each of you folders before, do you have same problem when using 'show in subfolder'?
#1 To explain a little better, what happens after folders are in cache is the "thumbnail icons" for all the images load fairly quickly, but the time it takes
to load the "thumbnail images" is very slow and results in a very slow lower right progress bar.
Slower than when you go to a folder?
#2 Here are a few images for both "slow load" and "search" issues.
I couldn't get all of the image descriptions at the bottom of the images to stick (when I reloaded album page some disappeared) so, I'll list
all the image names here, corresponding to the order of the album.
I can't reproduce this problem. And if you choose the root folder?
Pierre.
Xnout!

Post by Xnout! »

I cached the "entire" D:\ drive which appears to have cached all individual folders. Why would I need to do them separately? That would be painstaking.
xnview wrote:Slower than when you go to a folder?
When I go to a typical folder they load up fine.

To further explain, when I click on "show in subfolders" for entire drive, they don't all look like that image of thumbnail icons
and eventually they start filling out with images progressively downward. That example was just a section grouping lower
down the progress. What happens is all of the thumbnail icons load pretty quickly and the thumbnail images load fairly quickly, but
the quickness of the thumbnail images is at any given time along the way. So, it's that the thumbnail images are slow to load, but "progressively" slow.

I'm talking about loading around about 25,000 images on the entire drive.
How many images are you loading from cache on entire drive?
What kind of load speed do you get with "show in subfolders"? Instantaneous? Moderate?
I don't have my images in a "single" root folder. They are in an array of top level folders.
But it seems like I tried it with that image's root and it still didn't work. I'll try again. Stand by for edit.
Xnout!

Post by Xnout! »

Yes, the search aspect also works if I choose the root folder. But like I said, I don't use a single root and won't always know/remember
where the images I'm looking for are. So, the issue is with choosing the drive.

Is there a single root to all your images? Have you tried it by choosing just the drive letter?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Xnout! wrote: I'm talking about loading around about 25,000 images on the entire drive.
How many images are you loading from cache on entire drive?
All thumbnails one by one, like in folder
What kind of load speed do you get with "show in subfolders"? Instantaneous? Moderate?
Like in a folder with many files...
Is it possible to post a screen record?
I don't have my images in a "single" root folder. They are in an array of top level folders.
But it seems like I tried it with that image's root and it still didn't work. I'll try again. Stand by for edit.
Why do you use a base folder? In your case, you can empty the base field
Pierre.
CameronD

Re: Do not use Base Path

Post by CameronD »

There is a long-standing bug with the use of Base Path and searching. I don't recall it being fixed, but I converted everything away from that when I noticed it.