Auto-refresh Browser

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Brother Gabriel-Marie

Auto-refresh Browser

Post by Brother Gabriel-Marie »

We have a network copier/scanner. When I scan images they are sent to a folder on my workstation, such as C:\Scans

Now, I have MP open to this directory, sorted by date and scrolled to the bottom.

After I scan my images I go and look in MP which is open to the directory and the files are not there.
I have to push F5 to refresh it in order to see the new files.

Also, if I MOVE files from one instance of MP to another (using shift+drag in Windows 7), the files indeed, get moved, but the source instance of MP still displays them in the Browser... until I push F5.

Is there a setting for auto-refresh? I've looked through the settings but can't find it.
omniplex

Re: Auto-refresh Browser

Post by omniplex »

Brother Gabriel-Marie wrote:Is there a setting for auto-refresh?
The problem also affects classic (on Windows). Sometimes I have to click on refresh even in explorer (the Windows GUI shell). I think it's a hard problem, how often should a process check its own working directories for changes triggered by other processes?

If it's not often enough users will learn to click on refresh manually, and any convoluted auto-refresh with a timeout in a separate thread or in the main input loop wastes time.

And if it's too often it degenerates into a busy wait burning CPU time with possibly unwanted side-effects for power saving etc. I fear that anything passing as often enough is by definition too often.
Brother Gabriel-Marie

What about if it checked when the XnView's GUI receives mouse focus? Or if the user activates the window?
I don't really need to see the files appear unless I'm actually using the GUI.

I agree about not consuming resources for no reason.

Also, Maybe there is a way for MP to simply monitor some attribute of the directory that it is displaying. It could just monitor that directory's attribute and if it changes, auto-refresh. This could be done in the background and would not consume much by way of resources.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

FYI:
Brother Gabriel-Marie

XnView Classic had auto-refresh built-in.
This worked most of the time, at least.

So we shouldn't have to seek out a workaround if we want to replicate features from Classic (I hope). I use FreeCommanderXE for a file-manager (instead of Windows Explorer) every day and it has built-in auto-refresh. So I am hoping that MP can also do the same.
Brother Gabriel-Marie

Say, I'm still having this problem today in MP .86.

I edit several jpeg files and save them whilst in editor mode, and when I return to thumbnail mode, their thumbnails are not updated. I have to always remember to push F5.