Pixel Art scaling and batch conversion

XnConvert Multi Platform - Windows, MacOSX, Linux

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

aneyrin

Pixel Art scaling and batch conversion

Post by aneyrin »

Hello guys,

I need to scale down to 75% of the original size a lot of sprite images from old-school game Dune 2000 (a few thousands pixel art images). And I can`t to find a proper scale pattern for XnConvert:

The best result I have got experimenting with the different options:

As you can see I lost proportions and quality in scaled image (left). Any idea how can manage this task?
cday
XnThusiast

Re: Pixel Art scalling and batch convertation

Post by cday »

aneyrin wrote:I need to scale down to 75% of the original size a lot of sprite images from old-school game Dune 2000 (a few thousands pixel art images). And I can't to find a proper scale pattern for XnConvert...
Could you upload a sample image, in a ZIP if necessary?

Not clear exactly what you need to do, you want to change the pixel dimensions or the print size? You might also look at Canvas resize if you haven't already done so if that might be more suitable...
aneyrin

Post by aneyrin »

cday wrote:Not clear exactly what you need to do, you want to change the pixel dimensions or the print size? You might also look at Canvas resize if you haven't already done so if that might be more suitable...
I need to reduce a size from 100 to 75% but safe original proportions and quality. Sample is here: https://cloud.mail.ru/public/45r5iaNPA5 ... iginal.zip
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

aneyrin wrote:I need to reduce a size from 100 to 75% but safe original proportions and quality.
You need to rescale the pixel dimensions of the images by 75%? The first image is 16x17px and the second is 14x16px, so the dimensions after rescaling by 75% cannot be a whole number of pixels: so with those small pixel dimensions when the scaled dimensions are rounded to whole numbers of pixels the proportions will inevitable change, and quality will inevitable be lost even with resampling... Do I misunderstand, or have you possibly uploaded thumbnails of the images?
aneyrin

Post by aneyrin »

cday wrote:
aneyrin wrote:I need to reduce a size from 100 to 75% but safe original proportions and quality.
You need to rescale the pixel dimensions of the images by 75%? The first image is 16x17px and the second is 14x16px, so the dimensions after rescaling by 75% cannot be a whole number of pixels: so with those small pixel dimensions when the scaled dimensions are rounded to whole numbers of pixels the proportions will inevitable change, and quality will inevitable be lost even with resampling... Do I misunderstand, or have you possibly uploaded thumbnails of the images?
Thanks for your answers cday! Yes, I have huge amount (thousands) different pictures with different proportions. And I need a proper pattern for XnConvert how to reduce them all to 75% from their original size. I uploaded original art, not thumbnails. I know it's very tiny. :)
cday
XnThusiast

Re: Pixel Art scaling and batch conversion

Post by cday »

Reducing the pixel dimensions of those tiny images, if that is really what want to do, without changing the proportions or losing quality, isn't possible as far I can see...

The best you could hope for is to minimise changes to the images but I don't have any useful suggestions for that, and in any case with those very small dimensions you are likely to have to make a very subjective judgement. There may be some techniques that would help but it is a rather extreme case...