Session Save Tabs with no tabs [Fixed]

Bugs and Suggestions in XnView MP or XnConvert MP which have been resolved.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Brother Gabriel-Marie

Session Save Tabs with no tabs [Fixed]

Post by Brother Gabriel-Marie »

In my MP I have all the tabs as disabled and non-visible as I can set. In other words, there are no tabs to save, yet, when I close the browser I get a modal dialogue asking me if I want to save the session.

Session
Do you want to save this session?
Saving many tabs may noticeably slow reopening XnView MP
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Session Save Tabs with no tabs

Post by xnview »

Tabs are hidden but always here
Pierre.
Brother Gabriel-Marie

Yes, I know the tabs are "there" - but there shouldn't be any dialogue to save a session when there are no tabs to know about.
It's confusing.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Brother Gabriel-Marie wrote:Yes, I know the tabs are "there" - but there shouldn't be any dialogue to save a session when there are no tabs to know about.
It's confusing.
no tabs visible. So you think that there is no need to ask for session if tabs are hidden? What think other users?
Pierre.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

xnview wrote: So you think that there is no need to ask for session [save] if tabs are hidden? What think other users?
If saving many tabs may noticeably slow reopening XnView MP, then saving hidden tabs doesn't noticeably slow reopening?

If that is the case, and considering Brother Gabriel-Marie's initial experience of the revised interface, then it might be logical to suppress the message when no tabs are visible...

Or, as the message refers to 'many tabs', to only display it when more than a certain number of tabs are open: one, two or three...
Brother Gabriel-Marie

I agree with that - suppress the message if tabs are hidden and the number of tabs is set to the minimum.
In my settings I have "Maximum of view tabs" set to 1 (because I can't set it to 0).

When I "switch" to view mode, MP doesn't actually switch, it just opens the view mode in another tab. When I switch back to browser MP does not close the view tab.
That means that there is *always* a view tab open (unless I have tabs visible and I manually close it every time).
That means that the session is always asking to save two tabs: browser tab and the single view tab that stays constantly open.

There's really no session to save at all. I've never created or planned a session. I am switching between views and the "tab/s" open in the background are only a result of switching views. I don't even want to use tabs.
Erixx haxx

Post by Erixx haxx »

Isn't their a checkbox "Never Ask Again"
Or was this changed
Brother Gabriel-Marie

There is a checkbox for that.

However, if I do ever decide to use tabs then I think it should ask.

The point is that it shouldn't ask to save a tab session if the user isn't using tabs.

I'm not complaining - I'm just making the point in order to help make MP a better thing.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

See Issue 992 for details.
Pierre.
helmut

Post by helmut »

This problem is supposed to be fixed in XnView MP 0.84 beta 1. Could you please try and confirm the bug fix, Brother Gabriel-Marie?
Brother Gabriel-Marie

Confirmed! I opened an image, then switched back to browser and opened another image, and with the image open I closed XnView.
It quit perfectly - no dialogue.

Thank you!