Strange behaviour after Windows 10 Creator Update

*** Please report new bugs here! ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

hubert

Strange behaviour after Windows 10 Creator Update

Post by hubert »

I'm not sure if this is a bug of Xnview MP, but after the update, the start of xnview takes some minutes, the folder list is empty. If i wait Xnview works without any problems.

If i double-click on a imagefile which is associated with xnview the image appears but xnview does not react, it takes very very long, Windows proposes to kill the task.

I installed xnview classic again, there are no problems ... A reinstall of xnview MP did not help.

Thank you
jarmade

Re: Strange behaviour after Windows 10 Creator Update

Post by jarmade »

This is very similar to what I am experiencing since updating to the creators update. I have been using the classic xnview since then, which works fine.

Problem
Every time I open XnViewMP, the program hangs for approximately 3 minutes (It reads Not responding in the window title). After it has loaded, it runs perfectly fine.

If I run the command "xnviewmp.exe "C:\"", the program opens without hanging, but the second I use the Browser to open any folder containing images, it will hang just like before.

When opening an image from explorer, XnViewMP shows the image in fullscreen, but is completely frozen.

The problem is also similar to this old post: http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=30555

What I have tried
Clearing appdata settings, reinstalling.
I have tried the portable version and the 32 bit version. They all have the same issue.

Version
XnViewMP version: 0.86 64bits (Apr 25 2017)
steppin

Post by steppin »

I am having the same issue. Unintalled/reinstalled, installed XnViewMP 32-bit, and tried portable 64-bit version and all experience same behavior. XnView 2.40 works fine. Deleted XnView and XnViewMP directories in %APPDATA% before reinstalling.

Tried having XnViewMP start up in an empty directory, but have the same behavior. Takes roughly 3 minutes for XnViewMP to respond normally after launching.

Windows 10 Pro version 1703
16 GB RAM
Bitdefender Antivirus Internet Security 2017, Build 21.0.25.84
hubert

Post by hubert »

After some further tests i would say, this problem occures, when Xnview MP ties to open special Windows-Folders like

c:\users\xyz\ ...

like desktop, documents, pictures ...

If xnview was last opend on the D:\data or something else, it seems to work ! Perhaps it is not a problem of xnview, more a problem of the underlying toolkit which does the basic functions ...

Sadly it is a revival of xnview classic for me ...
jarmade

Post by jarmade »

@hubert
You seem to be right, I moved my images out of my users folder to another drive and xnviewmp can open them without freezing.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

hubert wrote:After some further tests i would say, this problem occures, when Xnview MP ties to open special Windows-Folders like

c:\users\xyz\ ...

like desktop, documents, pictures ...

If xnview was last opend on the D:\data or something else, it seems to work ! Perhaps it is not a problem of xnview, more a problem of the underlying toolkit which does the basic functions ...

Sadly it is a revival of xnview classic for me ...
Do you have OneDrive?
Pierre.
jarmade

Post by jarmade »

I uninstalled OneDrive and now it works perfectly. Thank you!

I never even had OneDrive running, I had it disabled, but simply uninstalling it from programs and features fixed my issues.
steppin

Post by steppin »

Same here! Uninstalled OneDrive, reinstalled XnViewMP 0.86 64 bit, and everything works perfectly. I had never configured OneDrive or created an account either.

Thank you!