Paste images from clipboard into a file

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView MP

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

arspr

Paste images from clipboard into a file

Post by arspr »

Ok, XnView allows you to create a new file from any image loaded into Clipboard through a somehow "lengthy" process:
+ Import clipboard.
+ Then save that image. Which opens a files browser which is not located even in the folder you are browsing. So you have to navigate to whichever location you want.

I suggest a much direct way (Acdsee allows it). If an image is loaded in Clipboard, Paste will directly trigger the Save As... process in the folder you are browsing.

In this way you could:
  • Use Import clipboard when you want to edit that image before saving it.
  • Paste when you just want to download your clipboard contents into a file.
(Well Acdsee actually directly creates a file in the folder. But probably launching the Save As... dialogue is more convenient in case you want to change the image format, destination, etc.)
m.Th.
XnThusiast

Re: Paste images from clipboard into a file

Post by m.Th. »

Much better is a new menu entry: "Paste to File" which will open the Save As dialog in the browser's current folder.
m. Th.

- Dark Themed XnViewMP 1.6 64bit on Win11 x64 -
arspr

Re: Paste images from clipboard into a file

Post by arspr »

m.Th. wrote:Much better is a new menu entry: "Paste to File" which will open the Save As dialog in the browser's current folder.
Why do you need an extra new entry when Paste doesn't actually do anything and I feel it is a fully intuitive action? (I mean, if my clipboard contains an image, it feels quite natural that pasting it in a file browser just creates an image file with that content, doesn't it? But sure, you have to ask the file name and the format you prefer so a Save As... dialogue feels also natural).