UI: Browser: View » Sort: Confusing separator

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView MP

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

helmut

UI: Browser: View » Sort: Confusing separator

Post by helmut »

In XnView browser, View » Sort the sort orders available are listed. One sort order is "Custom".

Currently, the sort order "Custom" is split by a seperator from all the other sort orders. This separator is not logical, because "Custom" belongs to all the other sort orders above. All menu items that influence (exclude) each other should be grouped together. (The only advantage I can see is that the seperator may help to find this menu item more easily, but the disadvantages clearly overweigh and if this is really an often used feature, a short cut should be assigned by default).

Suggestion:
I suggest to remove the separator between the standard sort orders (Name, ...) and the "Custom" sort order. This will make the whole menu much clearer.
m.Th.
XnThusiast

Re: UI: Browser: View » Sort: Confusing separator

Post by m.Th. »

...and perhaps rename it to "User-defined..."
m. Th.

- Dark Themed XnViewMP 1.6 64bit on Win11 x64 -
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

m.Th. wrote:...and perhaps rename it to "User-defined..."
better than Custom?
Pierre.
helmut

Post by helmut »

xnview wrote:
m.Th. wrote:...and perhaps rename it to "User-defined..."
better than Custom?
FAIK, in XnView Classic "Custom" is used (e.g. Tools » Resize). What is standard in Windows applications? (EDIT: From what I can see standard in Windows applications is "user-defined").
Sirio

Post by Sirio »

I think that the separator is good as is now, otherwise the list is too long. The separator just help visually.
"User-defined" is a little bit better than Custom. Custom can be confused with the possibility to modify the order of the columns.
Sirio
helmut

Post by helmut »

Sirio wrote:I think that the separator is good as is now, otherwise the list is too long. The separator just help visually.
"User-defined" is a little bit better than Custom. Custom can be confused with the possibility to modify the order of the columns.
This seperator makes this sub-menu just wrong and therefor the separator should be removed. Sirio, you're right, the list is quite long; and selecting this item might become cumbersome or people might even oversee it. To solve these issues, this menu item could be listed first and for quick access a shortcut should be assignable or even assigned by default.

I'm not 100% happy with the naming, yet. "User-defined" and "Custom" are o.k., but these terms keep the user in the dark HOW this user-defined or custom sort is actually done. Therefore I'd suggest something like "User-defined (manual)". (The longer name has the side-effect that this menu item stands out).
Sirio

Post by Sirio »

helmut wrote:This seperator makes this sub-menu just wrong and therefor the separator should be removed. Sirio, you're right, the list is quite long; but if there is really a need for quick access, a shortcut could be assigned.
OK, but, because it is so important, why not put it the first of the list? Instead of the bottom.
Sirio