Mac OS X

Questions, suggestions, and answers for XnView on MacOS X

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Mac OS X

Post by guest »

I will first state that I know nothing about the X11 environment.

I have downloaded xnview for OS X but how do I get it to do anything?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thank You
helmut

Re: Mac OS X

Post by helmut »

guest wrote:I have downloaded xnview for OS X but how do I get it to do anything?
XnView on Un*X uses the window manager X11.

By default, X11 is not installed on Mac OS X, so you have to install it. When searching apple.com for X11 you will find many hits.

From what I can see this is the Apple page for X11. On that webpage it says: "- Bundled: Optional install from the third Mac OS X v10.3 Panther CD.", so you might have it already on your installation CDs. Otherwise you have to download the package (43MB) - download link is on that page.

I don't have an Apple computer myself, so I cannot give you further assistance. Perhaps someone else having more experience (and an Apple computer) can help here.

X11

Post by guest »

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I already have X11, my question is how do I install or run XnView?

Here is where I'm at:

1. Download X11
2. Install X11
3. Download XnView
4. ?
5. ?

Thanks

Re: X11

Post by Guest »

Same Problem here. Double click on xnview starts terminal and nothing happens :-(
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: X11

Post by xnview »

Anonymous wrote:Same Problem here. Double click on xnview starts terminal and nothing happens :-(
You must start a terminal, and type 'xnview'
Pierre.
ptinutz

Post by ptinutz »

I used too xnview on mac os x, when I double-click on the shell xnview, it's working, I have the software, but when I tape it on the terminal, it says "Unknown command", so...

My question, it's about the hgl format, I have read than xnview can read it, but when I try to open one of this kind of file, he says he can't. I've you any idea?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

ptinutz wrote:I used too xnview on mac os x, when I double-click on the shell xnview, it's working, I have the software, but when I tape it on the terminal, it says "Unknown command", so...

My question, it's about the hgl format, I have read than xnview can read it, but when I try to open one of this kind of file, he says he can't. I've you any idea?
hpgl is only possible by a windows plugin
Pierre.
Wouter Hagens

XnView on Mac

Post by Wouter Hagens »

As it works with me is:
Double click on xnview opens also X11. Then you see small in the left top corner XnView v1.68 and below that File Option Info. This small window is on top of the larger xterm window.

Click on File and select Browse. If gives also the possibility to use Ctrl+B and other key combinations, but they do not work.

Hope this helps you.
Wouter
champ

selection box problems, and fewer features than Windows

Post by champ »

Thanks for the excellent software!

In OS X, I have two issues when trying to draw a selection box of a given size, using the second pair of numbers at lower right of XnView window.

First, the resize tab at the lower right corner of all OS X windows covers up the last digit of the Y size of my selection in XnView! (The Windows version gives the current pointer location and selection box size toward the left of the screen, after image and display details; this arrangement would solve the problem in OS X.)

Second, the numbers which give the current selection box size are always too low by 1, e.g. if these read (800x600) and I crop the selection, I end up with an image of size 801x601.

I am very fond of the "set selection size" and "set selection ratio" features in XnView 1.74 on Windows. Is the difference in features between 1.68 on OS X and 1.74 on Windows due only to the 1.68-1.74 version difference, or is it impossible to include all features of Win version in any Un*x version?

I eagerly await another release for OS X, either native or X11-based. Is 1.74 coming out for Un*x in the future?

Cheers!
champ

lauch XnView with XLaunch-o-matic

Post by champ »

P.S. -- I have found a utility which allows double-clicking on an image file in OS X to automatically open the image in XnView:

XLaunch-O-Matic, http://xlaunch.sourceforge.net/

Configure the filetype of your choice to open with XLaunch-O-Matic, then configure XLaunch to open any X11 application for that filetype. Makes it easier to use XnView as my default image viewer!

~ champ