Loop Selected Files (like in XP's default viewer)

Bugs and Suggestions in XnView Classic which have been resolved

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

budz45
XnThusiast

Loop Selected Files (like in XP's default viewer)

Post by budz45 »

Hi guys,

Im still running Windows XP (have not switched to Windows 7 just yet but soon :D ), anyways... on the default image viewer on XP (which we all know as Windows Picture and Fax Viewer) we can easily mass highlight some image files and batch open these highlighted files within Windows Picture and Fax Viewer so that the first file opens and Only loops what is selected in the next/back file list as it focuses on those files only not the specific directory, list like this:

Xnview and Xnview MP are currently unable to open a bucn of files and loop like this. I have tried to drag n drop a bunch of highlighted files onto xnview.exe or GUI but still no luck. I have not yet tried this with "browse with xnview" context entry. BTW I use the existing 'loop' file list feature all the time in Xnview and love it but it needs extending a little to include this.

Developer, Please if you could add this feature on top of the existing loop feature in Xnview, would be so nice :mrgreen:
All My Topics || my 'MP' Topics
My own Bookmarked topics--->for me only
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Easy: Loop Selected Files (like in XP's default viewer)

Post by xnview »

budz45 wrote: Xnview and Xnview MP are currently unable to open a bucn of files and loop like this. I have tried to drag n drop a bunch of highlighted files onto xnview.exe or GUI but still no luck. I have not yet tried this with "browse with xnview" context entry. BTW I use the existing 'loop' file list feature all the time in Xnview and love it but it needs extending a little to include this.
What's happened in XnView?
Pierre.
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

xnview wrote:What's happened in XnView?
Pierre,

Xnview cannot Loop a selected amount of files , it only loops the directory. Say for instance; I highlight 3 JPG image files and drag n drop them to xnview.exe, Xnview will open the first file as normal but when I browse to the next files it will browse to ALL the files in the directory instead of just those 3 JPG files. I would like if you added support for looping selected files

It's a small feature issue......You just need to add the support of this to the existing 'Loop on the file list' feature
ckv

Re: Loop Selected Files (like in XP's default viewer)

Post by ckv »

Try to enable that option. :)
XnView Tweak UI - Tool to customize your XnView beyond the regular XnView options.
UI-less Settings - Documentation of all the hidden settings in XnView.
XFAM - Tool to create and customize XnView file associations.
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

ckv wrote:Try to enable that option. :)
No, that's not what I want.

That setting only prevents multiple tabs from being opened. Please re-read what I wrote or was I not as clear. I am talking about opening a bunch of image files only for the first image file to open and then to loop those image files only in the file list (not the directory).

If any of you are still running Windows XP, then just highlight some image files in win explorer, right-click and click 'preview' to open those images in XP's default viewer and then you can see that when you press right or left to browse next file it would only browse those selected images in the file list and not any other images in the same directory.

Am I making sense, please let me know
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

budz45 wrote: Xnview cannot Loop a selected amount of files , it only loops the directory. Say for instance; I highlight 3 JPG image files and drag n drop them to xnview.exe, Xnview will open the first file as normal but when I browse to the next files it will browse to ALL the files in the directory instead of just those 3 JPG files. I would like if you added support for looping selected files
You must use only view mode, and you'll be able to loop between your file list with next/prev file
Pierre.
Clo
XnThusiast

Post by Clo »

:arrow: Pierre

:) Hello !
You must use only view mode, and you'll be able to loop between your file list with next/prev file
• You didn't get the budz45's request:
He wishes to have a circular view of a bunch of selected files, not a loop for the whole list :P

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
Old user ON SELECTIVE STRIKE till further notice
ckv

Post by ckv »

budz45 wrote:No, that's not what I want.

That setting only prevents multiple tabs from being opened. Please re-read what I wrote or was I not as clear. I am talking about opening a bunch of image files only for the first image file to open and then to loop those image files only in the file list (not the directory).
Right, my bad. It does't work when you simply open the files, but it does work if you add XnView in the Send To menu and then use the XnView shortcut in the Send To menu to open the files.
XnView Tweak UI - Tool to customize your XnView beyond the regular XnView options.
UI-less Settings - Documentation of all the hidden settings in XnView.
XFAM - Tool to create and customize XnView file associations.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

ckv wrote:
budz45 wrote:No, that's not what I want.

Right, my bad. It does't work when you simply open the files, but it does work if you add XnView in the Send To menu and then use the XnView shortcut in the Send To menu to open the files.
It works for me
Pierre.
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

I wish "Quick Slideshow" would loop only the selected files.

To reproduce:

1. Show the browser
2. Show the preview panel
3. Select two image files
4. Show context menu in preview
5. Select Quick Slide Show
6. XnView loops entire view, not the selection.

A toggle in the Quick Slide Show Options for "Only selected" would be great.
John
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

I applaud you guys for taking interest in my issue.

Im sorry, I just tried, but it still 'loop' does not work even from 'send to' menu when I select 3 files:

I just would like if it could Loop the 3 files or any specific amount I send/drag n drop/open in Xnview. As I said before, this little feature can nicely be added alongside the existing 'loop' feature.

Look again how Windows XP default viewer can loop both the entire directory of images and also specific number of image files chucked at it even if they are more other image files in the directory.

Please, developer sir :)
Last edited by budz45 on Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Clo
XnThusiast

Post by Clo »

:arrow: JohnFredC

:) Hello John !
I wish "Quick Slideshow" would loop only the selected files. …
• I can confirm that it does not work for the selection (4 thumb nails selected here),
the full folder content is displayed as Quick Slide Show… :|

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
Old user ON SELECTIVE STRIKE till further notice
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

Hi Clo!

But if no files are selected, then the entire folder or...

If files are tagged, then display a "play tagged or all" dialog.
John
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

============================
Last edited by budz45 on Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

Im so sorry guys it works, please close this topci if you need to, Im very sorry for the confusion. It worked when I enabled the option as ckv and Pierre said :D :D :D

Or maybe, as JohnFredC said, this feature could be extended to "quick slideshow"