XnView 2.39 forgot the settings on Win7

Bugs found in XnView Classic. Please report only one bug per topic!

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Woodman

XnView 2.39 forgot the settings on Win7

Post by Woodman »

After updating XnView to 2.39 (on a Win 7 Laptop) it forgot all settings, i.e. programms in "open with", the size of the thumbnails, the last folder and more.
On my Win 10 Computer it works fine.

Under "Tools->Options-> System integration" "Save options" is marked as INI in folder User. When I edit the INI file manually then these settings will be load next time I start XnView but changes are not stored in this INI file.

What can I do, where I have to look?
Keep :D
Horst
cday
XnThusiast

Re: XnView 2.39 forgot the settings on Win7

Post by cday »

Woodman wrote:After updating XnView to 2.39 (on a Win 7 Laptop) it forgot all settings, i.e. programms in "open with", the size of the thumbnails, the last folder and more.
On my Win 10 Computer it works fine.

Under "Tools->Options-> System integration" "Save options" is marked as INI in folder User. When I edit the INI file manually then these settings will be load next time I start XnView but changes are not stored in this INI file.
Could you try running XnView with Admin right and check if that overcomes the problem?

And out of interest, could you have installed XnView while logged in to an Admin account, and now be using it from a User account?

Edit:

I'm wondering if you might have two XnView .ini files, one in your Admin account and one in your User account??
Woodman

Post by Woodman »

cday wrote:...
Could you try running XnView with Admin right and check if that overcomes the problem?
First of all: there is no difference wether I work as Admin or as regular User.
cday wrote:And out of interest, could you have installed XnView while logged in to an Admin account, and now be using it from a User account?
I've installed XnView as normal User. But the setup asked for the Admin password.
cday wrote:I'm wondering if you might have two XnView .ini files, one in your Admin account and one in your User account??
There is an INI file in every account.
I made some investigations as Admin. This is part of the INI file:
XnView-Problem1.jpg
XnView-Problem1.jpg (50.71 KiB) Viewed 1354 times
On E: I mount different USB disks and in the example above is a path from before the update to Version 2.39. You cat see this also when I start XnView:
XnView-Problem7.jpg
XnView-Problem7.jpg (41.25 KiB) Viewed 1354 times
On the top you can see the path where is XnView looking for.
So I choose a new path:
XnView-Problem3.jpg
XnView-Problem3.jpg (104.96 KiB) Viewed 1354 times
... and close XnView. In the INI file is the new path saved:
XnView-Problem6.jpg
After starting XnView again it looks like the first start above:
XnView-Problem10.jpg
XnView-Problem10.jpg (38.68 KiB) Viewed 1354 times
And, after closing XnView in the INI file is the same (old) content:
XnView-Problem9.jpg
XnView-Problem9.jpg (67.87 KiB) Viewed 1354 times

For me it seems that XnView reads the INI file from one location writes to another one.

But, from which location is the INI file (whith old content) read?
Horst
Woodman

Post by Woodman »

Some more investigations:
The error happens also under Windows 10 if...

...if there is a xnview.ini in the C:\Program Files (x86)\XnView folder. :o

XnView works fine both on Windows 10 and 7 when I delete the xnview.ini in the program folder.
Horst
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Woodman wrote:But, from which location is the INI file (whith old content) read?
You'll find the INI file location in Info » About....
Woodman

Post by Woodman »

XnTriq wrote:
Woodman wrote:But, from which location is the INI file (whith old content) read?
You'll find the INI file location in Info » About....
That's right. But what happens if in the About the "INI file location" is "C:\Program Files (x86)\XnView\xnview.ini"
XnView_About.jpg
XnView_About.jpg (84.16 KiB) Viewed 1321 times
and in the Options>System integration "Save options as INI in folder "User""?
XnView_Options.jpg
Horst
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Woodman wrote:But what happens if in the About the "INI file location" is "C:\Program Files (x86)\XnView\xnview.ini"

[…]

and in the Options>System integration "Save options as INI in folder "User""?
<!--// EDIT //

Your screenshot indicates that xnview.ini is actually located in …walter\AppData\Roaming\XnView\ (probably due to user account control data redirection).

// EDIT // -->