JPE Routine

Bugs found in XnView Classic. Please report only one bug per topic!

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Move

JPE Routine

Post by Move »

I have some photos (jpeg) that can not be opened using the last version of XnView (and any other viewer). But on my computer with XnView 1.98 these files are opened correctly in ANY viewer. I think that the problem is not in XnViewer, but can someone explain to me what is wrong with these files?
Attaching one of them. Do not worry, it's my hosting.
http://rtm.com.ua/dl/3272.jpg

By the way, Chrome Browser opens it correctly.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Re: JPE Routine

Post by XnTriq »

Open 3272.jpg with JPEGsnoop
JPEGsnoop v1.6.1 wrote:*** Additional Info ***
NOTE: Data exists after EOF, range: 0x0039B35C-0x0045188D (746801 bytes)
… and go to Tools » Export JPEG (Extract All JPEGs).

The file contains — for whatever reason — three versions (hi-res & thumbnail + lo-res) of the same photo:
  • 3272.jpg.export.000001.jpg (3648×2736 pixels / 3781468 bytes) includes full Exif metadata
  • 3272.jpg.export.000002.jpg (160×120 pixels / 8192 bytes) = Exif thumbnail embedded in 3272.jpg.export.000001.jpg
  • 3272.jpg.export.000003.jpg (1440×1080 pixels / 746801 bytes)
Move

Post by Move »

Thank's for help! I tried JpegSnoop, but did not know what to do with these messages EOI and EOF...
This file is directly downloaded from camera. Is it some kind of new format or standart?..

Why my computer displaying it correctly and others don't? I have nothing special installed, even camera software.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with the Sony model DSC-W730.

AFAIK, some programs do not process/read files beyond the EOI (End Of Image) or EOF (End Of File) markers, because images can contain malicious code. There have been several security related changes in XnView v2.x recently. Maybe that's why the newest version doesn't like 3272.jpg.

We'll have to wait & see what the developer of XnView says.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Turns out that JPEGs produced by certain Sony cameras (including the DSC-W730) are also not fully JFIF-compliant :-|

[quote="Microsoft Knowledge Base (PRB: "Invalid File Format" from ImgEdit Reading Sony Mavica JPG)"]The Sony Mavica camera generates .JPG files without the required "JFIF" string in the header. The JPEG standard states that an APP0 marker and "JFIF" string (together with the leading SOI marker), make up the header that identifies them as "standard" JPEG/JFIF files. Some applications just recognize the leading "FFD8" SOI marker and don't look for the "JFIF" stamp, thus allowing them to open a wider variety of JPEG files.[/quote]
Drahken

Post by Drahken »

It's extremely pointless for sony to be doing this at all. For one thing, the low res pic is completely redundant. You already have the high res pic for quality and the thumbnail for speed. If you wind up wanting a low res pic for the web or whatever, you can easily reduce the large one.
If they did find is so absolutely necessary to have multiple images in one file, they should have used a format designed for such. TIFF for example. It supports multipage, supports JPEG compression for smaller files, and both features are simultaneously offical & widely supported (the latter, in large part, due to how long the TIFF format has been around). JPEG2000 would also work, though it's slower to compress (very bad in a camera) and not as widely supported due to being newer.
Oh the feuhrer, oh the feuhrer, oh the feuhrer's nipples bonk!
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Move wrote:I have some photos (jpeg) that can not be opened using the last version of XnView (and any other viewer). But on my computer with XnView 1.98 these files are opened correctly in ANY viewer.
Same problem, no solution :?
lastdecember (TechSpot Forums » [url=http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/132996/#post-854587]Some jpeg images won't open -- no preview available[/url]) wrote:A graphic designer sends jpg pictures for my approval (most probably he is using Mac). I can't open/view them in my PC at work. My colleague can't open/view them in her PC. But we can see those jpg pictures in the PC of another colleague. This time I sent the pictures to myself and checked at home. I can open/view the pictures in my PC at home.
Summary: two PCs can open a jpg while another two can not.
All PC's are windows XP, SP3.
Image opener/viewer softwares installed are (addition to Windows' defaults): Inkscape, Paint.net, Picasa.
Are there special codec for jpg files? if there are, maybe they are not installed on two of the PCs.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

I can read your jpeg file on 2.05 (ignore read error enabled)
Pierre.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Olympus also “injects” a “preview image” in addtion to the embedded Exif thumbnail (see Image Samples).
Andrzej Wrotniak (Olympus E-510 Review & Reference » [url=http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/e510-rev.html#FORMAT]File format and compression[/url] » Meta-information stored) wrote:We all know that many image files contain embedded thumbnails in the EXIF data; this is also the case here, and the thumbnail size is 120×160 pixels. It is not a common knowledge, however, that Olympus files (ORF or full-size JPEG type) also contain a smaller version of a JPEG, used for in-camera, magnified preview. This image is 1200×1600 pixels (approximately 2 MP). It is quite heavily compressed, usually to 300..400 kB, which gives a compression ratio of 1:15..1:20.
Andrzej Wrotniak (Olympus E-510 Review & Reference » [url=http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/e510-rev.html#MONITOR]LCD monitor[/url] » Image review) wrote:During the picture review, the E-510 does not show the original image, but a special "preview image" stored additionally inside the image file (see File Format and compression above). That "preview image" is 1600×1200 pixels. This means that when you view it on the monitor (320×240 pixels) in a 5× magnification, it shows already all information available. Higher magnifications add just enlargement, without any more detail. They also amplify all compression losses and artifacts, and the "preview image" is quite heavily compressed.