Display colors correctly for CMYK images (tif, psd)?

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

eliio

Display colors correctly for CMYK images (tif, psd)?

Post by eliio »

Is there any plugin or addon for displaying CMYK colors in images correctly (mostly in tif's and psd's)?
Now colors look different and oversaturated. Here's the sample (correct is on the left):

Best,
Elisei
helmut

Re: Display colors correctly for CMYK images (tif, psd)?

Post by helmut »

Which program displayed the left image? Do the wrong colours appear in all images viewed with XnView?

Gamma correction
You can force XnView to apply gamma correction when viewing images. Could you please check the setting in Tools > Options | View > View | [ ] Use gamma correction? This should be deactivated unless you want XnView to apply some gamma correction when viewing any image.

ICC Colour profiles
TIFF and JPEG images may contain ICC colour profiles. Perhaps using the embedded colour profile may provide better results? You can activate the usage of colour profiles in Tools > Options | General >> ICC .

Please note that these are just guesses.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Welcome to the forum, eliio.
eliio ([url=http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?p=137264#p137264]Wrong font and color rendering of ai and eps files[/url]) wrote:About the colors: yes, CIE Color correct the situation partially. Now the preview colors have become more accurate but the colors of thumbnails are still wrong.
It's a known issue.
Could you please give XnView MP a try? It uses Little CMS: Tools » Settings... » General » ICC
Little CMS ([url=http://www.littlecms.com/faq.html]FAQ[/url] » How can I use Little CMS in my apps?) wrote:Less common usage would be to convert from RGB to CMYK accurately, to convert separations done for one printer to another printer, to use CIEL*a*b as working space, to read Lab TIFF, to characterize Colorimetric PNG, etc. etc.
eliio

Post by eliio »

helmut wrote:Which program displayed the left image?
This particular image is from Photoshop. But every program (Illustrator, InDesign, CorelDraw) that can handle with CMYK model show pretty similar results.
helmut wrote:You can activate the usage of colour profiles...
Thank you, it really helps. I just checked "Use ICC Embedded Profile" without selecting any profile and the default ICC Profile is None.
But this solved the problem. Now the colors of CMYK and RGB files (tif and psd) look the same and correct (both thumbnails and previews).
XnTriq wrote:Could you please give XnView MP a try?
Thank you, I will definitely do.
Best,
Elisei