multiframe from jpgs does only one pic (as tiff)

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

visionhelp

multiframe from jpgs does only one pic (as tiff)

Post by visionhelp »

Hi,

XnView is my standard photo tool. I like it very much.

The first time I try now to use the function multiframe.

From 90 jpg-files, with the size each about 25 KB, only the first pic is to see in result, but the .tiff-file has about the size of all the 90 pics, I think.

What am I doing wrong.

Perhaps my phantasy about multiframe near to thumbnails from pics may be wrong.

But then what means multiframe, please ?
cday
XnThusiast

Re: multiframe from jpgs does only one pic (as tiff)

Post by cday »

visionhelp wrote:The first time I try now to use the function multiframe.

From 90 jpg-files, with the size each about 25 KB, only the first pic is to see in result, but the .tiff-file has about the size of all the 90 pics, I think.

What am I doing wrong?

Perhaps my phantasy about multiframe near to thumbnails from pics may be wrong.

But then what means multiframe, please ?
In the Viewer, you can step through the frames of a multi-frame TIFF (or PDF, for example) using the small arrow keys on the toolbar immediately to the right of the larger arrows used to step through files.

In the Browser, only the first frame thumbnail is displayed, and as far as I know there is no option to display thumbnails for the other frames.

Tip: If you edit the frames in a multi-page file, it is necessary to save the changes before stepping to another frame or the changes will be lost... :(

Tip: When editing a multi-frame file with many frames, saving changes becomes slow as the whole file is saved each time: in this case it might be quicker to extract all the frames to a folder, edit and save individual frames as required, and then create a new multi-frame file.
visionhelp

Post by visionhelp »

Thank You very much, cday.

the arrows in the viewer I could find, and this works.

The first time I can see, what multiframe is meant for, so far.

I am just thinking of, wheather this could be an alternative to thumbnails-previews, from this my current need.

Seeing this the first time, it is just still new.

My next idea: if it would be possible, f. e. on a website placed, there would be these necessary arrows somehow, this could be fine. But this will not be.
These to help could/should be an html-feature for this, I think.
Which I do not know, but I do not know about html very much.

But You helped me now already a step further.

Thanks for this again.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

visionhelp wrote:I am just thinking of, whether this could be an alternative to thumbnails-previews, from this my current need.
If you wish to see all the frames at once, you could achieve that by extracting the frames to a folder and then viewing that folder in the Browser with thumbnails displayed...

To extract the frames: In the Viewer, use Tools > Multipage file > Extract All.
My next idea: if it would be possible, e.g. on a website, there would be these necessary arrows somehow, this could be fine. But this will not be.
These to help could/should be an html-feature for this, I think.
Which I do not know, but I do not know about html very much.
One way to display a folder of images on a webpage with navigation arrows is to create a 'web photo gallery' using suitable tools, as in provided in Photoshop [Elements] or various freeware tools.

XnTriq may be able to offer some other suggestions...
visionhelp

Post by visionhelp »

Extracted they are already still, from where I made the multiframe-file from.
One way to display a folder of images on a webpage with navigation arrows is to create a 'web photo gallery' using suitable tools, as in provided in Photoshop [Elements] or various freeware tools.

Yes.

The idea multiframe-file for website may be good for special things, which I just have no one idea for.
And the traffic and the time a site needs to load and to open.

I already had to use TMGen to do the thumbnails, but all as one file again, too.

Like Media Player Classic does automatically a thumbnails-preview in one picture from a whole video, when using the thumbnails-function.

This I want for pictures.

Isn´t there a plug-in for XnView for to do some thumbnails in one pic ? Too sad. But, so what.

Thanks again, cday.
visionhelp

Post by visionhelp »

An easy to handle function to make a thumbnail of a pics-folder as easy as in the Media Player Classic for videos, could be a nice idea for XnView to add, as plug-in or what.
With the infos of the size of all pics in this folder, with the name of the folder, perhaps still some further interessting infos, which I just do not have more ideas myself.

I just did a fast view through the multi-frame pics:
like a fast big steps video nearly, how nice, a bit like a gif, but not quite.
Last edited by visionhelp on Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
visionhelp

Post by visionhelp »

Just found (german:) Kontakt-Abzug, english: contact-sheet, I think.
This is already near by a thumbnails-function.
I will have to take some looks at it.
I just still want to share this with You, cday.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

If XnTriq doesn't come up with something useful to you, I would suggest that when you have clarified your thoughts about your need(s) you post again...

And although you should post in English, as there are many German speakers on the forum, you could also include a German description of your need(s) in the same post, which might enable you to be more easily define what you require.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

cday wrote:XnTriq may be able to offer some other suggestions...
Didn't see this in time :-\ Will look into it later today!
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

One way of achieving this would be to convert the multi-page TIFF to PDF, and then embed the PDF document into HTML, or to convert the PDF to SWF and embed that into a web page.
visionhelp

Post by visionhelp »

cday wrote:If XnTriq doesn't come up with something useful to you, I would suggest that when you have clarified your thoughts about your need(s) you post again...

And although you should post in English, as there are many German speakers on the forum, you could also include a German description of your need(s) in the same post, which might enable you to be more easily define what you require.
I am sorry, for but now anwsering.

"when you have clarified your thoughts about your need(s) you post again...":
No problem.
I was looking for an easy to use thumbnail-maker, similar as the Media-Player Classic does from a video.
I did not know what multi-frame is. Now I do.

"also include a German description of your need(s) in the same post":
Thank You very much for this. OK.
With this I could get better translations to english, too, with.
Until today I did not find a translation requirement I like to work with, sorry.

And thanks for "XnTriq may be able to offer some other suggestions...", as he did now very wonderful.
Last edited by visionhelp on Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
visionhelp

Post by visionhelp »

XnTriq wrote:One way of achieving this would be to convert the multi-page TIFF to PDF, and then embed the PDF document into HTML, or to convert the PDF to SWF and embed that into a web page.
Thank Your very much, XnTriq.

A beautiful work, very nice and very helpful for this to THIS theme needed requirements.

After, while, viewing, realizing the mutli-page TIFF, what it is at all, I was having at once some ideas, just so.
Without knowing for what to use for me now really.
But this perhaps still may come.
And now with this knowledge how it is to do, it is really nice about knowing it is to do, so it seems more than only very possible it is possible.

Alone already this now: it could be an alternative technic for Slide-Show, for .gif-format, too, perhaps.
I have to let the ideas may come.

Many thanks again.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Thanks for reporting back, visionhelp! Welcome to the forum :-)
visionhelp

Post by visionhelp »

Thank You.

I´d love to !