Image Type

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

drc0369

Image Type

Post by drc0369 »

Why is there different JPEG types listed? (1.0, 1.1, 1.2, etc) This creates a problem for sorting and they are sorted by this when Type is selected for sorting, but if Extension is used, it sorts them by Name numeric and is out of order (image1.jpeg, image10.jpeg, image2.jpeg, etc) I want to sort by File Type and not Type os it will sort properly (image1.jpeg, image2.jpeg, image3.jpeg,...image10.jpeg, image11.jpeg,...image20.jpeg, etc) How can this be fixed?
cday
XnThusiast

Re: Image Type

Post by cday »

drc0369 wrote:Why is there different JPEG types listed? (1.0, 1.1, 1.2, etc) This creates a problem for sorting and they are sorted by this when Type is selected for sorting, but if Extension is used, it sorts them by Name numeric and is out of order (image1.jpeg, image10.jpeg, image2.jpeg, etc) I want to sort by File Type and not Type os it will sort properly (image1.jpeg, image2.jpeg, image3.jpeg,...image10.jpeg, image11.jpeg,...image20.jpeg, etc) How can this be fixed?
In the browser View > Sort By there are options to sort by Name or by Name (numeric) : the Name option sorts by the 'Windows' sort order which gives the (bizarre to me too...) sort order you report, the second option Name (numeric) should give the sort order you (and I...) prefer... :D
drc0369

Post by drc0369 »

The only thing is that Name numeric doesn't sort by the file type, it mixes the tyles together. I need to keep all JPEGs grouped, PNGs grouped, etc. I may just have to find another image file manager even though this is the best one out there in my opinion...thanks.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

drc0369 wrote:The only thing is that Name numeric doesn't sort by the file type, it mixes the tyles together. I need to keep all JPEGs grouped, PNGs grouped, etc. I may just have to find another image file manager even though this is the best one out there in my opinion...thanks.
If you select Sort by > Name (numeric) then Sort by > Type you should get that sort order...
Mixer
Banned

Post by Mixer »

drc0369 wrote:How can this be fixed?
Fill request in Suggestions forum to extend sorting function with ability to explicitly set number and order of sorting keys. With the way it works right now you may get what you want sometimes if you're lucky. But if you wanted to sort files by type as first sorting key and then by file size in each group of types as second sorting key, there's no way to do it. In Windows Explorer you can click column title to sort by first key and then Shift+click another column to sort by second key.