Photog's requirement: multiple caching & xmp tagging

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Marsu42

Photog's requirement: multiple caching & xmp tagging

Post by Marsu42 »

XnView has become my favorite picture viewer/browser, but unfortunately now that I do a lot of photography two features are sorely missing. I hope something can be added, surely I'm not the only one looking to quickly browse through heaps of raw/dng files from the camera using the embedded thumbnails

1. Multiple caching: I've got lots of memory, it would be great if XnView would simply pre-read more than one image for quick browsing... this has been bugging me all along, but now it's become a real time killer with my slow laptop.

2. Rate images: I don't know if this is beyond XnView's purpose, but quickly being to able to rate images by Adobe's xmp Standard (Photoshop, Lightroom) would be great. Other dedicated software also allows for color labeling with the same xmp standard, but well, it's not X-Mas yet :-p
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Photog's requirement: multiple caching & xmp tagging

Post by xnview »

Marsu42 wrote: 1. Multiple caching: I've got lots of memory, it would be great if XnView would simply pre-read more than one image for quick browsing... this has been bugging me all along, but now it's become a real time killer with my slow laptop.
you have options>View>Cache
2. Rate images: I don't know if this is beyond XnView's purpose, but quickly being to able to rate images by Adobe's xmp Standard (Photoshop, Lightroom) would be great. Other dedicated software also allows for color labeling with the same xmp standard, but well, it's not X-Mas yet :-p
Only XnViewMP is able to use XMP
Pierre.
Marsu42

Re: Photog's requirement: multiple caching & xmp tagging

Post by Marsu42 »

xnview wrote: you have options>View>Cache
Yes, but that's only reading *one* image into the cache, the same goes for XnViewMP. Other programs manage to pre-load many more images if the memory is available.

This does make a big difference for slower computers and/or larger images. If you ponder on one shot a bit, then quickly want flip through the next couple, essentially the computer is wasting time doing nothing at one moment, then is too slow to follow in the next.
xnview wrote: Only XnViewMP is able to use XMP
Thanks, I'll switch to that (again) - development seemed abandoned to me for some time, that's why I used to use XnView "Classic".