Video Preview - webm

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

hubert

Video Preview - webm

Post by hubert »

Hello, webm is the new Open Source Video Codec, is it possible to play these files (.webm) in the Preview and fullscreen. This would be fantastic. Is it possible to control the used codecs in xnview, which player is internally used ?

Thanks a lot for your amazing piece of software ...
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Video Preview - webm

Post by xnview »

Could you send me sample?
Pierre.
hubert

Post by hubert »

Thanks for reading my post. webm is the VP8 Codec which was bought by google and its now Open Source ! Here you'll find more informations http://www.webmproject.org/

ffmpeg is able to convert all movies into webm,

here you find a converter which uses ffmpeg http://www.xmedia-recode.de/, the new final release of vlc http://www.videolan.org/ plays the movies. The quality is near h264, i converted FullHD 1920x1080 from EOS550D at 8 MBit/s ...

If you need a real sample, thats no problem, how can i send it (email / ftp) ?

Thank you for your work ...
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

hubert wrote: If you need a real sample, thats no problem, how can i send it (email / ftp) ?
Yes please on contact at xnview dot com
Pierre.
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

I myself have taken an interest in this new format since the author's of CorePlayer announced it on their Twitter.

Here is a raw WebM / VP8 video you can download and experiment with; http://rapidshare.com/files/402012929/redcliff450.webm
video (C) 2009 Magnolia Pictures

(note: only supported media player's can currently decode this format e.g. VLC Media Player 1.1 or later or some mplayer builds)

here are some screenshots of what I used just for basic playback
Image Image Image
All My Topics || my 'MP' Topics
My own Bookmarked topics--->for me only
Strobe

Post by Strobe »

Hi, I just downloaded lastest version (2.30) but this still isn't working. However I think I know how to make it work with the ffmpeg library as it seems to support webm.

I did some testing by renaming some *.webm files to other common video format extensions like *.mpg or *.flv and the thumbnail/image is generated and shows up as expected in thumbnail, preview and open.

So all that needs to happen is that xnview needs to add .webm as a valid file extension for generating thumbnails/images using ffmpeg, and the problem is solved.

I tried to do this manually by adding webm to Tools > Options > File List > Custom Files but this didn't work, so I assume the 'ffmpeg whitelist' or whatever is internal somewhere.

Please add webm to the ffmpeg list so it is supported by thumbnails & previews. I would assume this is a pretty simple change?

Thanks!
omniplex

Post by omniplex »

Strobe wrote:Please add webm to the ffmpeg list so it is supported by thumbnails & previews. I would assume this is a pretty simple change?
Not all XnView users also have FFmpeg, and XnView is mainly a picture viewer/organizer/editor, other media (audio, video, vector graphics) are not exactly in scope for XnView. Suggestion, get and install Babelsoft Windows Media Preview, it uses a builtin libavcodec, a library also used by FFmpeg. This media preview software can handle all formats (video, audio, image) supported by FFmpeg as of April, 2014.

Interestingly media preview shows thumbnails for DPX, JLS, PAM, PCX, PGM, PPM, and SGI if you say so (manual configuration), while XnView can open the images, but doesn't create thumbnails. Two odd cases are CIN and WebP: The XnView shell extension supports CIN (created by XnView), but XnView does not create thumbnails for CIN. For WebP it's the other way around, the shell extension does not support WebP, but XnView can read/write/thumbnail it. :wink: