Installation on Debian Sarge

Questions, suggestions, and answers for XnView on all Un*x platforms (Linux, HP-UX, AIX, ...)

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

mike

Installation on Debian Sarge

Post by mike »

hello tout le monde,

I've been using XnView (and pushing it on others from time to time) for over 2 years on Windows. Now I'm learning Linux and I'm running Sarge stable on two machines (so both with the 2.6.8 kernel and XFree86 4.3). I've tried the following to install:

* Make a Debian package of the rpm:
# alien -d XnView-static-fc4.i386.rpm

* Install the new package:
# dpkg -i xnview_1.70-2_i386.deb

The following results:

Code: Select all

Selecting previously deselected package xnview.
(Reading database ... 79665 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking xnview (from xnview_1.70-2_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing xnview_1.70-2_i386.deb (--install):
 trying to overwrite `/usr/bin/nview', which is also in package nvi
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:
 xnview_1.70-2_i386.deb
My best guess is that XnView is trying to install a version of nView, which is experiencing conflicts with an existing package of the same name, or at least one that has an alias of nview. If I do "man nView" I get a manpage for "ex, vi, view - text editors". And if I enter nview as a command, sure enough I get a vi-like shell editor.

How might I proceed? (This might be a Debian problem more than XnView, but I thought you might be interested.)

Oh, and thanks for this great tool. :D

Post by Guest »

Download the tarball (.tar.gz), extract it where you want and run XnView from there by executing "./xnview" in the extracted directory. XnView doesn't need to be installed, but you can copy the "xnview" binary to a directory in your PATH (e.g. /usr/local/bin) if you wish.

PS: Yes, you're right, both XnView and some other package on your system want to install "/usr/bin/nview". You can solve that by either doing what I described above or by overwriting the file. Try "dpkg --help" and look for a "--force" option.
Stephan

Language-pack

Post by Stephan »

Fine, It works. Many thanks.

And now, where can I find the language? In windows it was Tools-Options-language.

I don't know and I don't like english :? But the translation exists! Why is there a must to use windows?

All the best
Stephan
helmut

Re: Language-pack

Post by helmut »

Stephan wrote:And now, where can I find the language? In windows it was Tools-Options-language.

I don't know and I don't like english :? But the translation exists! Why is there a must to use windows?
Until now there is only an English version of XnView on Linux.
DebianUser

xnview not starting

Post by DebianUser »

Hi,

I've also debian sarge installed and used the tar.gz package.
I get the following error:

./xnview: relocation error: ./xnview: symbol __strncpy_chk, version GLIBC_2.3.4 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference

is xnview working an debian sarge or do i have to install something else?
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: xnview not starting

Post by xnview »

DebianUser wrote:Hi,

I've also debian sarge installed and used the tar.gz package.
I get the following error:

./xnview: relocation error: ./xnview: symbol __strncpy_chk, version GLIBC_2.3.4 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference

is xnview working an debian sarge or do i have to install something else?
Which libc do you have?
Pierre.
jorgemarmo

Post by jorgemarmo »

from debian sarge

I try to execute the binary but this error appear

Code: Select all

~: ./xnview
** XnView v1.70 Copyright 1991-2005 Pierre-E Gougelet (Sep  6 2005/15:28:24) **
        Version for Linux x86/Motif (All rights reserved)
** This is freeware software (for non commercial use)

Type ./xnview -help, for more information
If anybody can help me I'll appreciate it a lot
thx 4 all.-
jorgemarmo

Post by jorgemarmo »

I have:::
libc6
libg++2.8.1.3-glibc2.2
libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2

I don't know how to see the libc that I'm using.... I just see the libc installed pkg with apt
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

jorgemarmo wrote:I have:::
libc6
libg++2.8.1.3-glibc2.2
libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2

I don't know how to see the libc that I'm using.... I just see the libc installed pkg with apt
And there is no pkg with glibc 2.3?
Pierre.

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:Download the tarball (.tar.gz), extract it where you want and run XnView from there by executing "./xnview" in the extracted directory. XnView doesn't need to be installed, but you can copy the "xnview" binary to a directory in your PATH (e.g. /usr/local/bin) if you wish.

PS: Yes, you're right, both XnView and some other package on your system want to install "/usr/bin/nview". You can solve that by either doing what I described above or by overwriting the file. Try "dpkg --help" and look for a "--force" option.
Also, you can remove nvi : apt-get remove nvi if you don't use it.