0.85: File modified date not set at Save As

Older bugs which are supposed to be fixed in 0.84. *** Please try to reproduce your bug and confirm the bug fix. ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

dietmar

0.85: File modified date not set at Save As

Post by dietmar »

Using 0.85 Linux 64bit I was wondering about a wrong display sequence in Browser when sorting is set to "Date" - "Descending". Looking at the file details it seems that "Modified date" is not correctly set during Save As.

Try this:

Take any existing image. Mine was created April 7 as an JPG.

Open the image, make a selection, crop.

Save the resulting cropped image to something.PNG

Now look at the modified date in the properties pane or in the Browser's detail list: It's still April 7, while the file creation date is correctly set to now.

Regards
Dietmar
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: 0.85: File modified date not set at Save As

Post by xnview »

what do you have in settings>General>File Operations - keep original?
Pierre.
dietmar

Post by dietmar »

xnview wrote:what do you have in settings>General>File Operations - keep original?
All setting are default, thus checked.
It shouldn't matter here, though. The image is modified (cropped), so the "modified date" should be updated and not kept.

Dietmar
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

you should uncheck for lossless transformations
Pierre.
dietmar

Post by dietmar »

xnview wrote:you should uncheck for lossless transformations
Sorry, Pierre, I don't understand your statement.

I accept that if I take any image, open it and save it to maybe a different format or a different location, then I may want to keep the original metadata.

But as soon as I modify the image, e.g. rotate, scale or crop (as in my example), the saved image must have its modified date updated.

Dietmar
helmut

Post by helmut »

dietmar wrote:... But as soon as I modify the image, e.g. rotate, scale or crop (as in my example), the saved image must have its modified date updated.
By default, XnView MP keeps the original date/time even when saving or applying other transformations. If you don't want this behaviour you have to uncheck the settings "Keep original date/time" in Settings: General » File operations.

Wrong default when saving
In XnView Classic the default for "Keep date/time for saving" is unchecked (no/off) while in XnView MP the default for "Keep date/time for saving" is checked (yes/on). Like Dietmar I'd consider this as wrong behaviour and an irritating difference between XnView Classic and XnView MP. :bugconfirmed:
:arrow: Reproduced
___

Default for JPG lossless operations
From what I can see XnView Classic has a setting for "Keep date/time for saving", only, while XnView MP has two extra settings "Keep date/time for JPG lossless operations" or "Keep date/time for Embedded Metadata change".

When applying JPG lossless rotation in XnView Classic the date/time is not modified. So here the default of XnView MP matches the current behaviour in XnView Classic and is correct.

Default for Embedded Metadata change
Not sure what the default for embedded metadata change is supposed to be. Perhaps someone can analyze the behaviour of XnView Classic and/or can name good reasons to change the current default.
dietmar

Post by dietmar »

helmut wrote:By default, XnView MP keeps the original date/time even when saving or applying other transformations. If you don't want this behaviour ...
Helmut (and Pierre):

May I suggest to rethink the whole behaviour regarding dates in metadata.

There are various dates saved either in the image file (EXIF, XMP, ...), in the OS, and maybe also in the MP database.

Looking at just two arbitrary JPG images on this machine, I see under

Properties -> file
Creation date/time
Modified date/time
Accessed date/time

XMP
CreateDate
MetadataDate
ModifyDate

ExifTool -> File
File Modification Date/Time
File Access Date/Time
File Inode Change Date/Time

ExifTool -> XMP
Create Date
Metadata Date
Modify Date

EXIF -> Camera
Date modified

EXIF -> Image
Date taken
Date digitized

ExifTool -> EXIF
Modify Date
Date/Time Original
Create Date

That's 18 different date stamps. Although many are duplicates probably and only need consistent naming.

Simply saying "keep original date" cannot mean ALL of these dates. When I manipulate an image, the date taken or the creation date can (should) be retained. But the modify date must change. That's what the modified date is for!

Dietmar
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

This problem is supposed to be fixed in XnView MP 0.87. Please check and confirm the bug fix here.
Pierre.